Match day

Team logo
Welling United (H)
Sat Apr 20

Match day

Team logo
Welling United (H)
Sat Apr 20 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Dramatic final day sees Rebels seal play-off place



Beckley (84)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Buchanan (4, 89), Adam Martin (69), Edgeworth (79)
League Attendance: 186 Jamie Jackson
A dramatic and tense final Saturday of the season saw Slough Town seal their play-off place by one goal after a 4-1 victory away against Romulus at Coles Lane, the home of Sutton Coldfield.

During the course of the day, fifth place changed hands no fewer than seven times as Slough held a slender 1-0 lead for a long time, only for news to filter through that Sutton Coldfield had taken the lead at Beaconsfield after dominating proceedings in their match, leaving the Rebels chasing goals.

Slough got off to a flying start, but not before Mykel Beckley hit the inside of the post for Romulus - Jamie Jackson having got a faint touch to the ball to make a superb save. However, the visitors took the lead with just four minutes played. Elliot Buchanan showed superb composure on the ball as he collected a through pass, swivelled and fired low past Sargeant and into the bottom corner.

Rebels fans and players were buoyed by this strike, but Sutton Coldfield were having the better of their game at Beaconsfield and many feared a goal update from Holloways Park would be a matter of time.

For Slough, it was a case of pressing on and trying to score more goals, and Sonner headed over the bar at the back post from Steve Sinclair’s cross as Slough pressed forward.

Buchanan then fired over from the edge of the box before Jamie Jackson had to make a fine save at full stretch to deny Marcus Brown after his clever chip from Beckley's lay-off.

Slough continued to apply the pressure, and Mo Sharif fired a 25 yard effort into Sargeant’s midriff before a Yeboah long throw led to a strong handball appeal by Slough players and supporters as Paul Edgeworth got his head to the ball, but the referee incorrectly waved the protests away.

Hearts were in mouths again soon after as Buchanan was played clean through on goal, but he blazed over on his right foot when he really should have scored.

Minutes before half time, Dean Harper headed wide from a corner when a firmer contact would have resulted in a second goal and a more comfortable half-time lead.

After discovering that Beaconsfield were holding Sutton Coldfield to a goalless draw at half time, Slough needed to pick up where they left off in the second half, but Romulus came closest to scoring as Jackson made a good save from a Lei Brown free kick.

An even better chance arrived for the hosts as Beckley found himself with a clear sight of goal. His chip landed just wide of goal and Tyrone Fagan’s effort was cleared off the line.

News then filtered through of Jamille Matt’s goal for Sutton at Beaconsfield, but it didn’t take long for the Rebels to edge ahead on goal difference again. A poorly cleared corner fell to the impressive Adam Martin on the edge of the box, and he fired low through the crowd of bodies in the box, the ball finding its way into the bottom corner of Sargeant’s goal.

Sutton then scored their second to put Slough behind again, and chances came at both ends as Marcus Brown struck a free kick against the top of Jackson’s crossbar with the keeper stranded. But soon after, Slough extended their lead as Buchanan’s floated free kick was headed in from close range by the unmarked Paul Edgeworth.

The game took another massive twist as Romulus scored a goal which put Slough behind yet again. Fagan and Beckley combined well and, as Yeboah slipped, Beckley ran through on goal and finished well past Jackson to stun the travelling Slough supporters.

Steve Bateman then threw on Nathan Bowden-Haase and Tommy Hayes in place of Simon Sweeney and Sean Sonner, both players taking up positions in attack as Slough prepared to throw the kitchen sink at Romulus.

Again, Slough managed to find the goal they needed as they pushed bodies forward. With Romulus claiming a foul, auxiliary striker Bowden-Haase picked the ball up, turned and played Buchanan through on goal. For an agonising moment, the striker looked as if he had carried the ball too close to Sargeant, but he made no mistake and coolly clipped the ball over the onrushing keeper and into the back of the net for a 90th-minute goal, sending the mass of Slough supporters into delirium.

As the game finished 4-1, there then followed an agonising eight minute wait for those on and off the pitch as Sutton Coldfield’s game was held up due to an injury. News of the final whistle at Holloways Park was greeted by unbridled joy from all those of a Rebels persuasion as a Tuesday night playoff semi-final at Hitchin Town was secured.

Romulus Lineup

Sargeant, Heath, Evans, Paskin, Folkes, Wilmore, Jackson (Fagan), Franklin, M Brown, Beckley, L Brown (c) (Blake). Subs not used: Robinson, Hamilton, Barnett.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024