Slough hit by Totton fightback

AFC Totton

AFC Totton

Sherbourne (50), Flood (70, 74), Hill (72)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Jordan (14), Platt (83)
League Attendance: 336 Steve Sinclair
A strong second half performance from AFC Totton, in which the hosts scored three goals in five minutes, overwhelmed Slough Town and enabled the Hampshire side to maintain their title challenge.

A stunning strike from Danny Jordan was the only goal of the first half, but Nathaniel Sherbourne's leveller was followed by three more Totton goals, before a late consolation from Matthew Platt.

Danny Jordan fired an early effort wide on his left foot and Jackson turned away a shot at his near post in the opening exchanges.

After 14 minutes, Platt’s knock-down was seized upon by Jordan on the edge of the box, who smashed the ball first time on the volley into the top corner for a memorable goal.

Minutes later, Totton showed their attacking threat as a Nathaniel Sherbourne header rebounded off the post, with Luke Evans on hand to scramble the ball away. Soon after, Sherbourne raced clear, but debutant Simon Sweeney got back quickly to challenge him and Jackson gathered the loose ball.

Sherbourne was looking the most likely to make something happen for Totton, and the striker also hit a rasping drive which was turned around the post by Jackson. For Slough, Steve Sinclair was looking particularly dangerous on the right, with the Totton left-back unable to deal with the winger on a number of occasions. A foul on Sinclair gave Bubb the chance to whip a free kick into the box, but the ball glanced off the forehead of the stretching Dean Harper and well wide.

With Slough holding a half-time lead, The Stags came racing out of the starting blocks with renewed purpose and caused plenty of problems for the visitors. A period of sustained pressure paid dividends just five minutes in, as Taylor's fizzed ball was met by Sherborne in the middle to equalise.

Totton continued to dominate possession with Slough unable to get a foothold back in the game. Only Jackson prevented the hosts going ahead, saving again from Sherbourne. Eventually the pressure told as Lewis beat Fenton on the right before crossing low for Flood to steer the ball into the net from 15 yards.

There followed a crazy three minutes for Slough in which Totton scored twice more. With 72 minutes played, Ryan Hill's well-struck free kick took a massive deflection which wrong-footed Jackson as it hit the back of the net.

Just a minute later and the game was well beyond Slough as Flood tried a dipping effort from fully 30 yards out. With Jackson slightly off his line and unable to get back in time, Totton went 4-1 ahead.

Totton continued to dominate and debutant Andrew Iwedieno was thrown on to replace Ryan Fenton, who had suffered at the hands of Lewis all game. Steve Bateman also introduced Yashwa Romeo and handed a debut to Tyron Sealey as Slough looked for a consolation goal.

Their efforts were rewarded seven minutes from time as Matthew Platt latched onto a loose ball and rifled past Barfoot on the half-volley following good work from Sealey and Bubb on the left.

AFC Totton Lineup



Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024