Gumbs has Fleet on the run

Slough Town

Slough Town

J Gumbs (56, 75)
Fleet Town

Fleet Town

Noakes (21)
League Attendance: 221 Laurence Brown
Slough Town recorded the shock win of the day in the British Gas South & West division, overcoming top dogs Fleet Town thanks to two second-half Jermaine Gumbs strikes.

With Richard Barnard unavailable, Slough drafted in Ross Ketteridge from Reading. Lee Rendell made a return to the side, taking his place on the left, and Terry Davies returned from suspension to play against his former club.

Fleet began the game in control, not giving the Rebels much of a sniff at goal, whilst retaining possession well and looking to push forward. The first real chance of the game came from a free kick, with Fleet's James Field forcing a smart save low down to his left from Ketteridge after 12 minutes.

The visitors threatened further, with captain Steve Noakes having a goal disallowed for offside following a cross from the right. Slough's defence had more work to do minutes later as Adam Wallace got free on the right, but his ball across goal was played between Fleet players, and Slough were able to clear.

Having looked the better of the two sides in the opening twenty minutes, Fleet duly took the lead through Noakes. This time, his effort counted as he found himself free at the far post to finish past Ketteridge on his left foot.

The best Slough could muster in the first half was a flicked Davies effort that fell onto the roof of the net, whilst Abby Nsubuga saw his shot cleared off the line.

Slough were forced into an early change on 39 minutes, as Lee Riddell was replaced by Jermaine Gumbs. This necessitated a change of system for the Rebels, with Gumbs joining Davies up front.

The change seemed to have an effect on Slough, as just before half-time they picked up their game and finished the more threatening of the two sides, without being able to find any clear openings.

Slough started the second half as they finished the first, and looked a lot more positive with the two-man attacking threat of Gumbs and Davies. Indeed it was the former who brought Slough level after 55 minutes. Meddie Nsubuga poked the ball through with the perfect weight for substitute Gumbs to finish across David Smalley and into the bottom corner.

As the game wore on, Slough were coping well with Fleet's direct tactics, with Daly keeping former Rebel Wallace quiet, and the visitors losing possession too easily and not able to pressurise Ketteridge often enough.

Indeed it was Slough who were looking the more likely to score, and did so on 75 minutes to go 2-1 ahead. After Dean Harper had a header deflected wide, the resulting corner from Davies was powered towards goal by the head of Daly. The ball beat Smalley but not a defender on the line. However Gumbs was on hand from point blank range to bundle the ball over the line and set up a tense last quarter of an hour.

Slough found themselves penned back for much of this time, clearing desperately at times into the channels for Gumbs and Davies to chase. However one such ball forward almost caught the visitors out as Gumbs found Davies on the counter-attack. He cut inside and had a go on his left foot, but only found the arms of Smalley.

After what seemed like an eternity, with Slough happy to play the ball into the corners for the final few minutes, the final whistle blew to secure an absolutely vital three points.

Fleet Town Lineup

1. David Smalley, 2. Sam Pearce, 3. Jack Smith (15. Ricky Miller, 85'), 4. Philip John, 5. Steve Noakes (c), 6. Mark Paterson, 7. James Field, 8. Williams Salmon, 9. Damien Smith (16. Mark Anderson, 62'), 10. Adam Wallace, 11. Nathan Smart. Subs not used: 12. Jason Milletti, 14. Darren Campbell, 17. Paul Smith


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024