Slough finally pick up three points

Slough Town

Slough Town

Woodruffe (25), Davies (70)


Chudy (32)
League Attendance: 215 Terry Davies
Slough Town secured their first three points of the season with a deserved 2-1 win courtesy of goals from Leon Woodruffe and Terry Davies.

Manager Darron Wilkinson opted to name himself in the starting eleven, this time in a more familar central midfield role after taking the goalkeeper's gloves the previous Saturday, to add some extra steel to the 'engine room'. Slough also welcomed Michael Murphy back to the fold after two years away, with Danny Jefferies making his return from injury.

A slow start to the game was followed by efforts on goal from both sides. Andover’s Bobby Swayne lifted a shot over the bar, whilst Slough wasted a couple of free kicks. Adam Heath and Lee Chudy also sent efforts wide for the visitors as they pushed forward in search of the first goal. Andover went close again as Kyle Swayne, an early replacement for the injured Matt Styles, saw his goalbound header blocked and cleared away to safety by the Rebels rearguard.

The opening goal came against the run of play, and was perhaps the slice of luck that the Rebels have been missing over the last few weeks. Leon Woodruffe did well to win the ball from an opponent, and charged down the left wing before putting in a low cross which evaded everybody and bounced into the goal off the far post to put Slough into the lead for the first time this season.

Half-chances continued to arrive for both sides before Andover equalised in the 32nd minute. Andover’s Craig Martin was fouled just outside the box by Woodruffe, with many Slough supporters thinking that the Rebels left back had won the ball cleanly. Lee Chudy made the most of the chance though, curling the ball high over the wall and into the back of the net.

Both sides pressed on, looking for a winning goal in a keenly contested second half which, in keeping with the rest of the match, was littered with free-kicks awarded by referee Bird, many of which were considered dubious by both sets of fans. Andover’s Matt Davies fired a volley straight at Aaron France, and Slough’s Terry Davies forced another good save from visiting ‘keeper Hook as well as looking to create chances for others with dangerous crosses, one of which found Lee Charles, who put a header just wide.

It was Slough, though, who managed to score again to go 2-1 ahead. A good passing move led to another Leon Woodruffe cross from the left being met by the unmarked Terry Davies, whose header squirmed past the right hand of Hook and low into the bottom corner, causing much jubilation behind the goal.

Buoyed by this goal, Slough played with a lot more confidence and piled forward in search of a third goal, which almost arrived as Matt Miller smashed an effort against the woodwork. Andover also did well to keep Charles and the returning Michael Murphy at bay as they looked to seal the game beyond doubt.

The final whistle came as a huge relief to fans and players alike, as Slough recorded a morale-boosting first league victory since January 27.

Andover Lineup

Hook, Martin (Stow), Damen, Davies, Keogh, Asker, Woodford, B Swayne, Chudy, Styles (K Swayne), Heath (Cooper). Not used: Morse, Wilson.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024