Better performance, but Rebels still defeated



Webb (74), Harman (90+3)
Slough Town

Slough Town

League Attendance: 254 Clement James
Slough Town are still searching for their first point of the season after another disappointing defeat, this time at Marlow, dumped the Rebels to the foot of the league table.

The Rebels started brightly enough, with the first half being a largely even affair. Matt Miller tried a shot on the turn from a very tight angle, which was easily saved. Marlow’s Adam Dickens had a long shot saved, and left-back Seb Neptune should have done better after picking up a loose ball, bringing the ball forward, then firing wastefully over the bar.

Slough could only muster a couple of half-chances, with Leon Woodruffe slicing a long shot wide, and Clement James cutting in and scuffing a shot at goal with his weaker right foot. At the other end, Dickens cut in from the left wing and shot across goal, narrowly missing the far post.

Things started to get a little bad-tempered midway through the first half, with George Moleski shown a yellow card for a late tackle by the touchline. Soon after, Slough’s Dean Harper conceded a free-kick 30 yards out. As he and a Marlow player tussled on the ground, Harper appeared to be punched, but referee Field saw nothing untoward and instead gave both players a ticking-off.

Soon after, Slough had perhaps their best spell of the game. After Marlow failed to clear, the ball fell to Terry Davies who touched the ball away from a defender before being tripped up, for what seemed to be a clear penalty kick in favour of the Rebels. However the referee thought otherwise, much to the dismay of Slough players and supporters. A minute later, Metcalfe played the ball off to Terry Davies 25 yards out, who angrily smashed a first-time shot against the crossbar, with the ball being cleared to safety.

Marlow emerged as the more threatening side in the second half, with strikers Harman and Simpson testing Aaron France from distance. Soon after, Adam Dickens found himself with a clear goal-scoring chance as he found himself clean through following a long ball and poor Slough defending. With France coming out to meet him, Dickens blasted his shot over the bar when well placed. Colin Simpson also found himself in behind the shaky Rebels defence, but also wasted a good chance.

Injuries to Clement James and Jon Mills left manager Wilkinson needing to introduce Nick Roddis and Adrian Browne from the bench, and Slough struggled to get any attacking moves together, with unimaginative long balls to Matt Miller and Terry Davies being easily dealt with by the tall Marlow centre-backs.

The home side took the lead in the 74th minute. After a shot was saved a spilt by France, right-back Scott Webb pounced to give Marlow the lead and leave Slough facing yet another defeat.

Striker Andy Deaner was introduced to provide a bit of height up front, but the targetman was unable to convert a cross from George Moleski, his header going wide of the far post.

Marlow put the game beyond doubt in injury time as Adam Harman eased past the Slough defence to slot low past France.

Marlow Lineup

MacTaggart, Webb, Neptune, Beale (c), Croxford, Elsegood, Shepherd, Jefferies (Couch 80'), Simpson (Flint 77'), Harman, Dickens. Subs not used: Grant, Martinus, Coull.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024