Rebels recover to see off Dons

Slough Town

Slough Town

Carbon (46, 51), Harris (71), Seedel (76)
AFC Wimbledon

AFC Wimbledon

Allaway (o.g. 8), Cooper (26)
Ryman League Cup Attendance: 564 Josias Carbon
Two goals from Josias Carbon, a penalty from Glen Harris and an individual effort from Matt Seedel saw the unpredictable Rebels claw back a two-goal half-time deficit to book their place in the two-legged semi-final of the Bryco Cup at the expense of Ryman League One leaders AFC Wimbledon.

In the freezing cold conditions the match started at a high tempo, and it was the Rebels who nearly took the lead as early as the second minute when Ryan Spencer's corner was headed onto the bar by Ian Hodges with the ball rebounding to safety.

From the next corner of the match the away side went ahead. The highly rated Rob Ursell hit a corner from the left, which seemed comfortable for goalkeeper Shaun Allaway, but the Rebels goalkeeper made a complete hash of it, dropping the ball into his own net.

Despite that setback, Slough continued to pressurise the Dons defence, but despite a flurry of corners and crosses the Rebels failed to create any real clear-cut chances early on.

Instead, it was AFC Wimbledon who doubled their advantage on 26 minutes when Ursell crossed high towards Mark Cooper at the back post. He headed past Allaway into the corner of the net.

The Rebels had a mountain to climb even at this early stage of the game and the match could have been all but over, but Allaway was on hand to atone for his earlier error by saving well from Richard Butler with his feet.

Whatever manager Eddie Denton said to his troops at the half-time interval made an almost immediate impact as just one-minute into the half Josias Carbon reduced the deficit, by shooting left-footed into the net past Paul Smith.

Then just five minutes later, the Rebels were back on level terms. Carbon again found himself in space inside the area and again, on his left-foot shot low into the net.

The Rebels continued to pressurise the AFC Wimbledon defence, playing their own game in this half after giving the visitors too much respect in the first-half.

Carbon again was the main dangerman for Slough when he beat Ryan Gray and crossed to Michael Murphy at the back post. His shot though was saved with his knees by Smith.

The Rebels were causing the Dons a real problem especially on the right-hand side of the pitch and Carbon again picked up the ball in midfield, ran at the AFC Wimbledon defence only to be fouled by Jon Barrie-Bates. Glen Harris stepped up to score from the spot.

With fourteen minutes remaining Slough wrapped the game up when Matt Seedel ran through the Dons defence with ease to strike the ball past Smith to extend the lead.

Late on the Dons threw men forward in search of an equaliser, but never tested Allaway in the Slough goal. The closest they came was when former Rebel Anthony Howard shot wide well placed, but the Rebels comfortably held on to progress to the semi-finals.

AFC Wimbledon Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024