Bishops Bash Rebels

Bishop's Stortford

Bishop's Stortford

John (41, 42), Purcell (67)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Howard (26), Hakki (84)
League Attendance: 340 Veli Hakki
The Rebels travelled to Woodside Park in the hope of making amends for the poor late showing against Aylesbury. Bartely and Stott had both been ruled out through injury along with stalwart keeper Mautone, which forced Rebels boss Steve Browne to introduce three late signings, Kieron Gallacher, Anthony Howard and keeper Gary McCann.

What a difference 12 months makes as disappointing Slough Town went down to defeat on Saturday. The last meeting between these sides was in a First round FA Trophy clash and Rebels despatched the Essex side by a comfortable 5-0 margin.

But times have changed since then and Steve Browne's men could have few complaints about the result against a hungrier side. With Steve Mautone, Steve Stott and Michael Bartley all out through injury, the Rebels boss had signed keeper Gary McCann, Anthony Howard and Kieron Gallacher to lift the side.

But after Rebels had gone 3-1 down, Keith McPherson compounded the misery with a sending off after clashing with Vinnie John.

The veteran defender pushed the home striker which prompted chaotic scenes as all bar four players got involved in a scuffle which saw both players dismissed.

It made it a bitter sweet day for John who had turned the game round for Bishops with two goals in a minute shortly before the break.

The hosts had started brightly but they were stunned when a blunder from keeper Nicky Desborough, palming Junior Haynes corner onto the bar, gifted Rebels the opener which Howard accepted from close range.

The goal spurred Rebels on as they pinned the homeside back but four minutes before the interval, McCann could only palm the ball onto John's head who made no mistake from close range.

It got worse for Slough a minute later when he had an easy finish from six yards to change the nature of Browne's half time team talk.

Bishops scored what was to be the clinching goal midway through the second half with a quick counter attack, superbly finished with a delicate chip from Andy Purcell.

With a two goal cushion, Bishops seemed content to sit on their lead but with six minutes left, Veli Hakki pulled a goal back.

The midfielder turned neatly before setting up Tony Thompson. But the substitute was tackled before he could shoot, fortunatley the ball broke kindly for Hakki to squeeze home from close range.

There was still time for Bishops to hit an upright with Purcell header and in injury time, Dominic Gentle was just off target. But that was that for the Rebels and it condemned them to the second odd goal defeat in five days.

Bishop's Stortford Lineup

Desborough, Kimble, Riches, Wolf, Hercules, Taylor, Purcell, Southam, John, Paul, Braham. Subs: Gunn (For Hercules 70), Hayes, Beale


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024