County Cup exit for Rebels

Maidenhead United

Maidenhead United

Channell (12), Glynn (60)
Slough Town

Slough Town

B&B Senior Cup Keith McPherson
Yet again Slough slipped to another derby defeat with a very disappointing performance in the cup match against Maidenhead United.

Slough opened well but it was Maidenhead who were creating the opening chances. With their big centre backs Cook and Croxford winning all the aerial battles, set pieces were always going to cause Slough a problem, and from a corner Croxford came close after only four minutes.

A Tim Cook long throw, a thorn in many a side this season, reached Croxford again, but the big defender could not firect his header as it went harmlessly wide.

Minutes later though, ex-Rebel Barry Rake received the ball down the right wing by the corner flag and left Chris White standing with some good skill. His well placed cross was met by the head of Channell who left Mautone with no chance and put the Magpies in the lead.

Slough began to find a bit of momentum, but for all their short passing and possession, never created anything bar a long range Graham Kemp effort which was well blocked.

Channel's pace upfront was causing the Rebels problems and when he was released midway through the first half, it caused problems for the Rebels. Channel's initial effort was blocked, and the resulting pass back to Mautone saw the keeper slip as he received the ball, but he just managed to clear from the advancing striker.

Slough created their first half chance of the game with Chris Allen's first real contribution. He ghosted past his marker on the left wing and floated the ball to the back post, but Garry Cross was well marshalled, and the young full back could not put his header goalwards.

A Chris Allen free kick was floated to the back post and again found the head of Garry Cross, but again, his effort was wide of the post.

On the stroke of half time, Barry Rake managed to break through and put a square ball to leave Channel through one on one with Mautone. Channel's initial effort was well saved by the legs of Mautone, and as Channel ran back to the rebound, which sat up nicely for the in form striker, he managed to hook the ball back goalward, which required another good save by Mautone to tip the ball over the bar.

Maidenhead started the second half well, and as Rake fired in a free kick by the right wing corner flag, it was again Croxford winning the aerial challenge, which forced a good save from Mautone.

Rake again managed to get free of the Slough defence, but opted to shoot from a narrow angle instead of cutting the ball back, and put his effort narrowly over.

After 55 minutes of the game had passed, a free kick was floated into the Slough area which Glynn beat Mautone to, but the young midfielder could not get his header goalwards and the ball went wide.

Glynn made amends for his earlier miss just five minutes later when he played a neat one-two in the Slough area before finishing low to Mautone's left to extend the Magpies lead. The game tightened up from that point with the introduction of Holsgrove to the Rebels defence, and the Magpies defence superbly marshalled by Croxford and Cook meant Mark Hall and sub Markman got little goalscoring opportunity.

Slough forced a late series of attacking free kicks and corners but could not produce anything of note from their late spell of pressure.

Maidenhead United Lineup

Barnard, Woodhouse, Beaton, Rake, Croxford, Hickey, Cook, Ferdinand, Channel, Ulasi. Subs: Craker, Morley, Creighton (for Channell, 85)


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024