Hall is spot on as Rebels take cup revenge on Carshalton

Slough Town

Slough Town

Townley (66), Hall (76 pen)
Carshalton Ath

Carshalton Ath

Robson (37)
Full Members Cup Attendance: 210 Mark Hall
Midfielder Mark Hall struck a 76th minute penalty on his return to the Slough Town starting line-up after injury to secure a 2-1 win against Carshalton in the Full Members Cup on Tuesday night at Wexham Park.

The Rebels followed up their impressive 3-1 league victory at Boreham Wood with another commanding performance, and were desperately unlucky to fall behind eight minutes before the break. Slough missed some good chances and Hall was the culprit in the opening minutes, firing two good efforts wide of the far post.

Micky Engwell struck a great free-kick on seven minutes which the Carshalton keeper saved at the second attempt, then captain Steve Daly watched his effort cleared off the line as he headed Engwell's corner goal-bound.

Strikers Andrew Deaner and David Adekola looked sharp in attack and caused havoc in the Carshalton defence. And it was the persistent Adekola who set Deaner free on 33 minutes, robbing Matt Elverson on the halfway line. Adekola found Deaner and he raced forward before firing in a 30-yard strike which just clipped the bar.

Danny Honey's first real contribution to the game was to pick the ball out of the net after a cruel deflection from Gary Ansell's shot left the Rebels defence exposed. Ansell's shot struck Hall and fell into the path of Neil Robson to confidently volley the visitors into the lead on 37 minutes.

Tempers flared as Youness Nabil and Junior Haynes clashed after the Carshalton full back sent the Slough winger into the advertising boards. Nabil squared up to Haynes, who was warned by the referee after both players were parted, but the Slough man continued the argument minutes later, the pair grappled with each other and, this time, Nabil got warned.

More disappointment followed for Nabil, who was sporting a black eye because of the clash with Haynes, when he was replaced by Bryan Hammatt at half-time.

The Rebels carried their first half domination into the second half and Daly watched his header blocked by Deaner on the line, then Hall's shot from six yards was cleared. A string of Slough corners eventually gifted Hammatt a great chance to score but he rushed his shot and fired well wide on 65 minutes.

A tactical change saw Dave Rainford take a corner and he picked out the tall figure of Leon Townley, who rose above the Carshalton defence to power a header through a packed penalty area and underneath the keeper with 24 minutes remaining.

Rainford almost created a second for Slough three minutes later, this time finding Daly, whose header hit the bar and was cleared after a frantic scramble in the Carshalton box. The Rebels continued to search for a winning goal and found the breakthrough after a move that split the visitors defence.

Engwell found Deaner who held the ball up superbly before setting up Mark Pye, and his first time pass set Adekola racing into the penalty area but he was floored by Carshalton keeper Talbot. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot but chose to give Talbot only a yellow card as Adekola was judged to be going away from goal.

Hall then stepped up to slot Slough into the third round.

Carshalton Ath Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024