Hammett strike sends Rebels to Macclesfield

Slough Town

Slough Town

Deaner (40, 2-2), Hammatt (90+7)
Crawley Town

Crawley Town

Abbey (36), Ullathorne (44)
FA Cup Attendance: 881 Brian Hammatt
Slough Town earned themselves an FA Cup first round clash with Macclesfield after winning a titanic replay against Crawley Town on Monday night. As a cup tie it had it all — two spirited comebacks by the Rebels, a sending off, a punch-up and a late,late winner, just when extra-time looked likely.

Graham Roberts led his team out and looked solid at the back, until the 36th minute when former Maidenhead United striker Ben Abbey burst through a stationary Slough Town defence. A delightful through ball from Victor Viegas was controlled superbly by Abbey and he fired the visitors in front.

Crawley always looked dangerous on the break but it was Slough who created more chances. The visitors' lead lasted just four minutes with Slough equalising through in-form striker Andrew Deaner. A superb cross by Mark Fiore made it easy for Deaner at the near post, but what followed put a sour note on the game.

Tempers boiled over and both teams came to blows in the goal-mouth. Punches were flying and both Graham Roberts and John Mackie appeared to strike each other, but the referee decided that a yellow card was sufficient.

Crawley regained the lead a minute before half-time as Slough were caught napping again. John Ulathorne picked up the ball and made no mistake to put the visitors into the lead at the break.

At half-time Roberts replaced himself with young wing-back Kenny Hughes, but Crawley always looked more likely to score. The game took a cruel turn for Crawley as Mackie, already booked for his clash with Roberts, was red carded after an appalling challenge on Brian Hammett.

The Rebels took full advantage of the extra man, scoring five minutes later with another great goal by Deaner. Reds keeper Adrian Blake blocked three shots and, when the ball fell to Deaner, he scored with a classy overhead kick.

Slough surged forward in search of the winner, but squandered chance after chance. And the home side were extremely lucky to survive as 10-man Crawley hit the post and the crossbar, and forced Paul Wilkerson into two match—saving stops. With extra-time looming, Hammett produced a moment of magic to send Slough into the next round. In the seventh minute of stoppage time, he beat two defenders by the corner flag and raced into the box to coolly slot the ball past Blake.

Crawley Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024