Next match

Team logo
Farnborough (A)
Sat Sep 23

Next match

Team logo
Farnborough (A)
Sat Sep 23 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Thommo Harries the Harriers With A Decisive Double Strike

| League
Att: 1012
Kidderminster Harriers
1 - 2
Slough Town
Thompson (43, Unknown)
Steve Thompson
Steve Thompson was instrumental in the Rebels third away win of the season with two goals that sank Kidderminster. The first was fantastic and the second a poached effort that highlighted his ability to play anywhere.

The Rebels turned in an excellent performance all round and it provided for their most convincing away win of the season. In the shadow of the Bath result the week earlier, Slough saw the return of Thompson, Mark Mallinson and Phil Stacey with only Neal Stanley and Naseem Bashir unable to travel with injury.

The line up also included new signing from Aylesbury United, Junior Wilson — a fast and powerful left back signed for no fee for the rest of the season. Wilson hadn't played all season at first team level and tired early, but not before giving the team some extra width and pace which functioned as part of an impressive sweeper system.

Thompson was pushed up front alongside Tommy Langley with Gary Donnellan, Mark Mallinson and Tony Dell forming a hard working midfield. Kidderminster began to threaten Slough early on, with Trevor Bunting producing a fine save when Paul Davies got through.

A tricky start saw the hosts driving at their visitors but the Rebels defence remained unruffled and slowly Slough found more and more room to create and move. Tony Dell went into the book for a late challenge and early in the game the Harriers lost striker Davies with injury to be replaced by Attwood.

Just as the Rebels were beginning to dominate after a fine spell of corners and total pressure on the Harriers goal, a breakaway saw Hadley nip in to drill the ball low past Bunting and give the home side the lead. A diving save from Bunting stopped Brett Wilcox from adding to the tally but suddenly Slough got on top and moved swiftly and dangerously out of midfield to constantly cause problems for the Harriers defence.

Wilson moved well on the left though his final ball was sometimes lacking, Donnellan did well on the right and Thompson twice found himself in a good position with the goal looming but tried to set up Donnellan and Langley when he should have gone himself.
After 43 minutes though he notched a superb goal when his pace carried him past three defenders before he clipped the ball home. With half time coming soon after it was the ideal time to score.

The Harriers came out with guns blazing at the opening of the second half and it was Bunting who again produced heroics in goal to deny them. He brilliantly tipped over Martin Weir's far post header and seconds later produced a stunning double save from the same player who was unmarked at the far post.

Slough again got on top. Kidderminster looked stretched and were unable to defend well against the Rebels forward movement as it was one way traffic when Slough scored their second. Tony Dell's far post cross saw Wilson challenge well at the far post and as both he and keeper Paul Jones collided and fell injured, the ball dropped in the six yard box and Thompson was quickest to react and poke it home.

Soon after a corner was dropped by Jones, Thompson's shot was parried and Donnellan and Langley both had efforts cleared off the line. Wilson had to be helped off by physio Brian Burke after his earlier collision with the keeper, and breathing difficulties saw him replaced by Jonathan Hunt, who showed some good touches.

The Slough steamroller began to slow as the half wore on, but Donnellan's chip had to be palmed away by the keeper and the only blemish on an otherwise excellently refereed game was the failure to spot Weir's handball in the box with Langley hot on his heels.

At the other end Bunting was in the right place to save Wilcox's header and after pumping the ball into the box to give the Rebels some anxious late moments the referee signalled a vital and well deserved Slough win.

"THE lads performed superbly," said Alan Davies the Rebels boss after Saturday's conquering of Kidderminster. "The equaliser was superb, it's what we've come to expect of Steve Thompson," was his reaction. "It was nice to be able to pick from 17 players and today it was a case of playing the fittest of the fit.-

"Trevor Bunting made a superb double save at the beginning of the second half, it was first class and it would have been an injustice if we had gone behind," added Davies. "We changed tactically for the second half, kept on going and got the result. Every single player did superbly today."

On the acquisition of Junior Wilson, the Rebels boss said: "Junior has been in conflict with his club all season but when he was transfer listed and I asked earlier a fee I couldn't afford was slapped on his head."

"But he recently was released and after much chasing around on Friday I got him. I thought we needed more presence of men getting forward and he is a good quality player — I am delighted to have him at the club."

Kidderminster Harriers Line up


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023