Poor Run Halted

Slough Town

Slough Town

Dodds (6, 80), Friend (47 pen), Evans (87)


Tappin (51)
League Rowan Dodds
Slough Town halted their run of four matches without a victory in fine style at Wexham Park on Saturday, with an impressive performance to sweep aside the challenge of Walthamstow Avenue in the Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division.

Walthamstow started the day in fourth place with still an outside chance of the championship title following a fine run of recent results, but at the finish they were made to look a very ordinary side as at long last the Rebels produced some of the sparkling attacking football they are capable of but have been unable to conjure up recently.

With Dave Russell and Eric Young both suffering from flu, Jimmy Walsh returned to the heart of the defence and Roy Butler came in up front.

The match could not have started better for Slough when within six minutes they were ahead, courtesy of a thunderous first time shot into the corner of the net by Rowan Dodds.

Dodds' 11th goal of the season followed a Friend corner on the right which was only cleared to the feet of Slough's young striker on the edge of the box, and his well struck effort gave goalkeeper Alan Jarrett no chance.

One minute later a shot on the turn from Eggie James brought the best out of Jarrett as he tipped the ball acrobatically over the bar for a corner.

Walthamstow played some neat football at times during the half, but rarely troubled Slough's well disciplined defence and generally the game became rather scrappy as both sides were guilty of continually giving away possession as play centred around the midfield area.

However, after the interval there was certainly no shortage of action as the match burst into life.

Within a minute Dylan Evans had been booked for a foul off the ball on a Walthamstow defender, and then a minute later the Rebels were awarded a penalty by referee Mr G. Prevett of New Malden.

A free kick from Les Barrett was headed harmlessly, into the hands of Jarrett by Roy Butler, but as Evans followed up the Walthamstow keeper Jarrett saw fit to foul Evans and a penalty was awarded. Friend made no mistake from the spot, placing the ball crisply home.

But it took just four minutes for Walthamstow to get back into the game when from a free kick on the edge of the penalty area, full back Bobby Tappin struck the ball around the Slough wall and into the net.

The game really started to reach boiling point when Friend was guilty of a terrible foul on Hopkin, and was a little lucky to only get away with a booking. And then minutes later Friend was the victim of another bad tackle which ended with Walthamstow's Jimmy Kane being booked.

However, both sides calmed down and during the final 25 minutes Slough produced some delightful football to destroy Walthamstow. First James saw a header strike the top of the post and from the rebound Jarrett saved well from Evans, and then the Walthamstow 'keeper smartly smothered an effort from Keith White after another decisive move by Slough.

The goal of the game came after 80 minutes. Francis Araquez, who gave another fine display at right back; sent Butler clear on the right, and the Slough striker carried the ball into the Walthamstow penalty area before playing it perfectly into the path of Dodds to strike home a really lovely goal.

It was all Slough now and three minutes from time they added a fourth goal when Butler's header at the near post was deflected into the net by Evans to secure the Rebels' fifth £40 win bonus of this season.

This victory moved Slough into fifth spot and after all their recent disappointing displays it was good to see the side playing decisive attacking football again and finishing it off with goals.

Walthamstow Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024