Comprehensive Win Over Hayes

Slough Town

Slough Town

White (15), Russell (34), Dodds (40, 70)


Drake (16)
League Unknown
Slough Town moved into second spot in the Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division with a comprehensive victory over local rivals Hayes, at Wexham Park, on Tuesday evening.

Three first half goals sent the Rebels on their way to an impressive victory, which extended their unbeaten run in the league to seven matches and leaves them eight points adrift of leaders Sutton United.

Manager Terry Reardon, was well pleased with his sides' showing in their last league match before they take on Scarborough in the FA Trophy, on Saturday week.

Reardon said the result was "sweet revenge" for Slough's 2-1 defeat at Hayes earlier in the season.

Slough made the perfect start when after 15 minutes they went ahead. Jimmy Walsh sent over a free kick from the left and Keith White got between the Hayes defence to head home a superb goal into the corner of the net.

However, within a minute, Hayes had shocked the Rebels with an equaliser. A free kick from Roger Mackay found the head of the unmarked Derek Morris, and although Frank Parsons made a fine one-handed save to keep the effort out, Graham Drake was on hand to knock the loose ball home from close range, leaving a large question mark against the marking of the Slough defence.

The lively Dave Russell then went close with a fine shot, after he had turned two Hayes defenders in a confined space, while after 30 minutes Eric Young just failed to connect with a back header from Rowan Dodds, following another perfectly flighted cross from Walsh.

However, after 34 minutes Slough scored the second goal they had been threatening, and what a superb effort it was. Dylan Evans and Russell worked a lovely one-two on the edge of the Hayes penalty area, and after goalkeeper Wilson had foiled Evans, the ball broke to Russell. With his back to goal, he coolly spun round and floated the ball into the top right-hand corner of the net from about 18 yards out.

This was Russell's 14th goal of the season, but his first since January 2, and he was clearly delighted to have broken his recent goal famine — and in such spectacular fashion.

Wilson then needed to be at his best to top over a long-range effort from Les Barrett, but five minutes before half time Slough added a third goal.

Russell and Keith White worked a short corner on the left, Russell crossed and after Evans had flicked the ball on at the near post, Dodds emerged through a group of Hayes defenders to send a low, diving header into the net for his ninth goal of the season.

Throughout the first half, the Rebels played with imagination and flair, and also displayed the kind of lethal finishing which has been so desperately missing from their game in recent matches.
With 10 minutes of the second half gone, Hayes had a fine chance to reduce the deficit when Derek Doyle lobbed the ball over the Slough defence to the unmarked Keith Morris. But the Hayes striker was too anxious and sent a hurried volley well wide of the target.

The game began to deteriorate as the half progressed, with both sides guilty of making a string of poor passes, and the action generally confined to the midfield area.

However, Slough always looked likely to add to their tally, and with 70 minutes gone, a fourth goal came. Friend sent Dodds clear of the Hayes defence and the youngster kept his composure well, before poking the ball past Wilson and watching it hit the far post and go in.

In the final minutes, a splendid move involving Walsh and Dodds ended with Evans going desperately close to adding a fifth goal, as Slough finished worthy winners, in what was a well-disciplined and confident team performance.

The only black mark for Slough was a booking for Friend after 30 minutes, following a foul on Doyle.

Hayes Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024