Late Goals Earn A Point

Harrow Borough

Harrow Borough

Jones (9), Harris (56)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Dodds (80), White (85)
League Unknown
Slough Town came back from the dead at Earlsmead on Monday evening, with two goals in the last 10 minutes, to record their 12th Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division draw this season.

With just 10 minutes of the match remaining, it looked almost certain that Harrow would collect the three points, as once again the Rebels' problem of being unable to turn some good approach work into goals was highlighted.

Time and time again, Slough built-up dangerous attacks only for them to peter out once they reached the Harrow penalty area, and goalkeeper Les Currell was rarely called into action. Just when it looked as though the Rebels' recent goal famine in the league was going to continue, Rowan Dodds pulled them back into the match when he neatly headed home a Barry Friend free kick at the near post after 80 minutes.

And then five minutes later Slough completed another dramatic comeback to salvage a point when Keith White equalised. Friend swung a free kick from the left into the Harrow penalty area, and after a tremendous scramble involving players from both sides, the ball broke to White who hammered it home from about 10 yards out.

As on previous occasions when the sides have met, Harrow looked an extremely impressive side and after just four minutes, they almost went ahead when George Duck hit the post after connecting with a miss-hit effort from Mike Garrini.

At the other end a fine ball from Eric Young ended with Dylan Evans lobbing the ball just wide of the post.

However, with Steve Jones continually teasing the Slough defence with his silky skills, Harrow always looked dangerous and after nine minutes it was Jones who put them ahead, when he crisply volleyed home after a Steve Smith corner.

With the pitch like a quagmire down the middle, both sides found the going heavy, although at times the standard of football produced was exceptionally high.

The usually prolific Duck twice wasted good chances for Harrow, while Jimmy Walsh missed a good opportunity for Slough, when through with only Currell to beat after he had linked well with his forwards.

Generally, after the interval, Slough held the upper hand but for all their midfield domination, they never looked like scoring and lacked ideas and imagination once inside the Harrow penalty area.
After 61 minutes Jones hesitated too long when through, and Young recovered well to complete a timely interception and then Duck wasted a similar opportunity.

Slough's best chance of getting back into the match fell after 54 minutes, when good work by Evans and Dodds on the right, then saw Russell blast the resultant cross high over the bar from only five yards out — to sum up Slough's awful finishing in front of goal.

Two minutes later, Harrow looked to have sealed the points with a truly superbly executed second goal. Derek Harris swung the ball from right to left across the field, Jones raced away and then sent over a perfect cross which Harris headed sweetly into the net past a helpless Parsons.

However, in the last 10 minutes Slough came to life, and from looking a well beaten side, scored their two goals — their first in the league since January 2 — to salvage an excellent point.

Harrow Borough Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024