Poor Rebels Beaten By Dulwich

Slough Town

Slough Town

Dulwich Hamlet

Dulwich Hamlet

Field (79)
League Unknown
The unpredictability of football was fully exposed at Wexham Park on Saturday, when just seven days after Slough Town had won handsomely at Dulwich, they turned in a thoroughly lifeless performance to lose to the same team in the return Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division match.

Dulwich, who are currently struggling in the relegation zone, secured the three points 11 minutes from time with a goal from Tony Field as the Rebels' turned in probably their worst display this season.

Having scored 10 goals in their last two matches Slough went into this match confident of extending their recent unbeaten run, but they were unrecognisable from the side which had played so well at Dulwich the previous Saturday as they slumped to their third home league defeat of the season.

With Steve Norman ruled out with injury, manager Terry Reardon was forced to switch Keith White to left back, with Barry Friend coming back into the side.

And Slough's hopes were not helped when White received an ankle injury in the first half and was substituted by young Gary Attrell, making his debut for the club, at half time.

This meant a further reorganisation to the side with Les Barrett moving into defence and Attrell playing up front. Considering Attrell has only just come out of playing District League football the youngster did well and showed some promise for the future.

But despite the injuries and consequent reorganisation of the team there can be no excuse for this Slough performance against a mediocre Dulwich side.

Throughout the Rebels showed little appetite for the task in hand as they turned in a lethargic performance in almost every department with few players emerging from the match with any credit.

Apart from the hard working Roy Butler the Rebels' front runners gave the Dulwich defence an easy afternoon's work as they created only a handful of chances with the exception of Steve Adams, who battled hard throughout, the midfield showed little commitment and hardly strung together a decent move throughout the match.

In a first half of which there was little action of any description it was Dulwich's Tony James who came closest to scoring two minutes before the interval.

A ball from the right beat the Slough offside trap and after James had run through and beaten Frank Parsons, his shot was blocked near to the line by Joe Moloney, who only played after passing a late fitness test.

Slough's best efforts came from Butler and he went particularly close after 23 minutes following a fine ball over the top of the defence by Adams.

The second half started with Slough stringing together their best move of the match when Adams, Dave Yerby and Dave Russell combined well and it finished with the latter shooting over as goalkeeper Steve Botwell came out to narrow the angle.

At the other end Parsons foiled Mark Denton with a fine save, and with only 11 minutes left the game looked to be heading for a goalless draw.

But then Dulwich, who only forced one corner throughout the match, made a quick break from defence on the right and Martin Coates scampered down the wing and sent over a fine cross which the unmarked Field met with a perfect header into the corner of the net.

Slough tried to stage a late rally and twice Russell had chances, but on each occasion a moments hesitation proved costly and the game finished with Slough looking a sad and demoralised side and Dulwich worthy winners.

After the game Reardon said he thought this was the side's worst display since he took over as manager, and like most of the supporters who saw the two games with Dulwich was at a loss to explain why the side could play so well one week and then so badly the next against the same opposition.

Dulwich Hamlet Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024