Gough's killer blows

Slough Town

Slough Town

Morrissey (pen 34)


Gough (85, 90+2)
League Pat Morrissey
FORMER Colchester United striker Bobby Gough struck a double killer blow to Slough Town's Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division championship hopes at Wexham Park on Saturday, when he scored twice in the last seven minutes to inflict the Rebels’ first league home defeat for more than a year.

So in the space of four days Slough have twice gone down to disappointing defeats, and from looking almost certain favourites for the title they now face a massive battle if they are to pip Wycombe Wanderers or Enfield and bring the championship back to Wexham Park for the first time ever.

Although the Rebels had taken the lead through a Pat Morrissey penalty after 34 minutes, it was another below par performance from Laurie Churchill's side, and for much of the match Hendon, unbeaten in their last 11 matches, looked the better team.

In an effort to strengthen and bring some stability to the midfield after the Hitchin match, Terry Reardon came into the side with Dave Russell substitute. But from the start the Rebels were soon under pressure. Again the whole side looked very nervous and Hendon were consistently quicker on the ball and also showed more commitment.

After 15 minutes Martin Sperrin provided Gough with a fairly simple chance from 15 yards. But the striker shot wide past the advancing Teale.

However Slough slowly started to find some rhythm to their play, and although they were nowhere near their best, came close twice on two occasions at the other end. Fred Smart did well to tip a curling Morrissey cross, from the right, over and then Eric Young saw a header hit the top of the crossbar.

Then after 34 minutes Slough got just the break they required to take some of the pressure off them. Vic Akers chipped the ball into the Hendon penalty area and Jonny Bishop was bundled over by Murphy as he went up for the ball.

The referee - Mr N. Butler - was well placed and had no hesitation in awarding a penalty. He also booked Murphy for arguing over the decision. Morrissey stepped up and coolly sent Smart the wrong way to put his side seemingly on the road to victory.

This goal seemed to give the Rebels a new belief in themselves and they started to play some of the attractive football they are capable of demoralising sides with.

Perhaps the turning point in the game came 15 minutes into the second half when Slough had a golden opportunity to wrap the match up. Morrissey and Bishop combined superbly on the left to send Micky Kiely racing through. As Smart and Murphy attempted to stem the danger the ball broke clear to Akers on the edge of the penalty area. With the Hendon defence stranded he only had to place the ball into an empty net. But the Rebels' left back's right footed shot was well off target and trickled wide.

Had this relatively easy chance gone in, it seemed doubtful whether Hendon would have come back in the fashion they did. After 81 minutes Keith White limped off to be replaced by Russell while Folan replaced the impressive Paul Currie, brother of England international Tony.

With five minutes left the Rebels looked likely to hold onto the three points. But then came Gough's double killer blow. First Peter Deadman hit a long cross from the right. Teale thought about claiming it and then went back and the unmarked Gough was allowed to head home into the right hand side of the net.

Slough were given a further indication of the danger of Gough three minutes later. Again he was left completely unmarked but this time headed weakly wide from close range. But in the second minute of injury time he made amends.

Again the Rebels’ defence must take the blame for not picking him up. Dermott Drummy's long cross from the right found Gough and from just inside the penalty area on the left he volleyed home a superb goal from an acute angle which gave Teale no chance. There was no time for Slough to recover and three more points had been lost at a stage in the championship race when you cannot afford such slips.

The face of Kiely as he left the pitch probably best summed up the feelings of the Rebels and it is now going to take a super human effort for the side to lift themselves and take the title which seven days earlier looked a near certainty.

Hendon Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024