Slough wreck Walthamstow



Slough Town

Slough Town

Young (18), Akers (27)
League Vic Akers
Two goals in a nine minute spell during the first half, including a superb effort from full back Vic Akers, gave Slough Town another impressive away victory at Walthamstow in the Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division on Saturday.

This was another polished performance by the Rebels and only some poor finishing during the second half prevented them from recording their second successive three goal win and a £40 bonus.

Manager, Laurie Churchill, kept the same side which had beaten Hayes in midweek with Eggie James again substitute.

The opening ten minutes saw Walthamstow force corners, but the Slough defence, which had not conceded a goal in the past three matches, dealt with them confidently. Slough must have been surprised by the amount of time and space they were allowed, especially on the left wing where Akers was already proving a danger with his overlapping runs.

Slough took the lead after several dangerous breaks with 18 minutes gone. A strong run by Micky Kiely forced a corner on the left. The kick was taken by Pat Morrissey and central defender Eric Young rose above the Walthamstow defence to head home at the near post.

Within nine minutes the Rebels had further increased their lead with a superbly executed goal. From the edge of the Walthamstow penalty area, Terry Reardon pushed a great ball through to Akers who collected it near to the by-line. He beat off a Walthamstow challenge before firing home from what looked an almost impossible angle, for a great opportunist goal.

From this point onwards the Rebels never really looked in danger of losing against a Walthamstow side which built their attacks well, but lacked the finishing power in front of goal. After 33 minutes a poor clearance by Reardon set Dave Silman free on the right. His cross found Dave Willis unmarked in the Slough penalty area. However Richard Teale was equal to the final header, making a one-handed save to turn the ball away for a corner, and the home side had missed a golden opportunity.

Slough replied with five corners in succession as Walthamstow frantically tried to prevent conceding a third goal before the interval.

The second half became a scrappy affair and the standard of football generally deteriorated with both sides sending passes astray.

Slough's only real anxious moment of the half came after 60 minutes. A cross by John Worrall was only palmed away by Teale and Barry Walder's shot was finally blocked on the line and cleared for a corner.

It was Slough who always looked the more likely side to score and numerous chances went begging. After 74 minutes Reardon set Russell clear with another superb ball after he had dispossessed a Walthamstow defender. However with only Allan Jarrett to beat the Slough forward fired wide. Then two minutes later Morrissey found himself with only Jarrett to beat following good work by Russell, but he failed to get the ball under control and the chance was missed.

Russell, again, had a good chance after 80 minutes but his final effort was high and wide. Two minutes later Slough did have the ball in the net when Kiely headed home a Morrissey corner, but the linesman adjudged the kick had gone out of play.

Four minutes from time Morrissey limped off to be replaced by James, and with his first touch the striker came close to adding a third goal.

Although Slough lacked some of the sparkle of their recent performances this was a well disciplined display against a Walthamstow side who were slightly disappointing for a team in the championship race.

Walthamstow Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024