Two-goal Kiely boosts Slough



Johnson (29)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Russell (4), Kiely (40, 47)
FA Cup Terry Reardon
SLOUGH TOWN won themselves a home tie with Barton Rovers when they comfortably accounted for Hounslow at Denbigh Road on Saturday in the second, qualifying round of the FA Cup. Micky Kiely netted two of the Rebels' goals.

The Rebels' main problem was adjusting their style of play to suit a pitch which virtually ruled out good football for either side. Both goalmouths were bare and like the majority of the pitch had an uneven surface which made the bounce of the ball almost a lottery. However Slough acquitted themselves well to this handicap and although Hounslow equalised after 29 minutes, the Rebels never really looked in danger of losing the match.

As so often has been the case this season, manager Laurie Churchill was forced to re-organise his side due to injuries. Pat Morrissey was absent, suffering from a muscle strain and Steve Norman came into the side at right back, with John Beyer switching back to the centre of defence and Terry Reardon moving to a midfield role, where he performed superbly.

After just four minutes Slough made the perfect start, when they took the lead following a free kick on the edge of the Hounslow penalty area after a foul on Eggie James. Reardon touched the ball to Dave Russell and his low shot took a deflection, leaving goalkeeper Peter Jenkins stranded, before going in at the far post.

There were further problems for the home side after 10 minutes. First Micky Hoad was booked for dissent and then almost immediately an injury to Ray Noad forced him to be substituted by Ray Olliffe. One minute later a fine through ball from Barry Friend split the Hounslow defence open but Kiely, with Jenkins to beat, miss-hit his shot wide of the target.

At the other end a timely tackle by Beyer foiled Kenny Wilson after a through ball from Robin Joseph had set the Hounslow winger free.

With Slough well in control it came as something of a surprise when Hounslow equalised after 29 minutes. Colin Johnson struck a low and hard free kick from about 30 yards out, and just when Richard Teale appeared to have the effort well covered it hit a bump in the goalmouth and deflected past the diving Slough keeper.
Just before this free kick Kiely had been booked by the referee for not retreating 10 yards from the ball.

This goal seemed to inspire the home side and for a short spell they came at Slough with several dangerous attacks. From one of these a well struck effort by Wilson was deflected for a corner by Beyer.

However five minutes before the interval Slough regained the lead. A cross from Friend on the left caught Jenkins out of position, and he could only help the ball across the face of the Hounslow goal. The ball bounced back off Micky O'Sullivan, who was on the goal-line, and Kiely struck it home from about five yards.

Within two minutes of the second half Kiely scored a third goal and virtually made sure of a place in the next round for the Rebels.

The Slough striker put Hounslow defender Noad under pressure about 20 yards from the home side's goal, and when Noad finally attempted to clear the ball it was intercepted by Kiely who broke for goal. From an acute angle he fired the ball towards the far corner of the net, and although Jenkins got a hand to the effort he only succeeded in helping it into the net.

This heralded the last real action of the match, and although on numerous occasions Slough broke dangerously, looking to increase their lead, too often their forwards were caught in offside positions.

Keith White replaced the injured Friend after 59 minutes. Despite throwing men forward in a desperate attempt to score, Hounslow never really troubled Teale and he was rarely called upon to make a save.

Their best chance fell to Glenn Hayward after 80 minutes, but from the edge of the box he fired wildly over the bar after he had latched onto a poor clearance by James. Considering the difficult conditions this was a well organised and disciplined performance by the Rebels, and stretched their unbeaten league and cup run to 14 matches this season.

Hounslow Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024