Rebels leave it late again

Slough Town

Slough Town

Russell (80), James (87)
Leytonstone Ilford

Leytonstone Ilford

Harris (38)
League Micky Kiely
SLOUGH TOWN staged another tremendous fightback at Wexham Park on Saturday, with two goals in the last ten minutes to clinch three vital Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division points against newly promoted Leytonstone/Ilford.

The Rebels are fast gaining a reputation for their dramatic comebacks in matches, and this game was no exception. Having gone behind after 38 minutes against a well drilled and organised Leytonstone side, Slough kept their supporters waiting anxiously until the last ten minutes before victory was achieved.
With 80 minutes gone Slough finally broke through a stubborn Leytonstone defence, which until that time had withstood all the pressure Slough could muster during a second half they dominated.

A free kick from Keith White found its way to the head of Eggie James, as he outjumped the Leytonstone defence. His header beat goalkeeper David Danson only to hit the underside of the crossbar and bounce down. However Dave Russell was on hand to touch the ball home and Slough were level.

Seven minutes later the Rebels scored the vital winning goal. A great run by Micky Kiely on the right resulted in a low cross into the Leytonstone penalty area and James emerged from a group of players to turn the ball home from close range, and the comeback was complete.

Before these goals, Slough had dominated the second half after a particularly disjointed first half display in which Leytonstone never allowed them to settle and often looked the better side.

With Dave Yerby away on business and Pat Morrissey out injured, the Rebels were forced to re-organise their side. Terry Reardon came into the heart of the defence for his first full game this season, John Beyer moved to left back and Keith White played in midfield.

These changes seemed to unsettle Slough, and during the first 45 minutes they failed to show any of the fine form they had produced in recent matches. Prompted by new signing from Enfield, Jimmy Holder in midfield, a well disciplined Leytonstone side took control of the match and their tight marking never allowed Slough to find their touch.

After 38 minutes the East London side took a deserved lead. A cross from John Borland found Neville Fox at the far post, and his header back across the face of the Slough goal was finally pushed home by Terry Harris.

The second half was virtually dominated by Slough, although the strong running of Paul Powell was always a threat to the Rebels defence. And, after 65 minutes Leytonstone could well have clinched the match. George Brooks found himself completely clear in the Slough area but after weighing up the situation he finally chipped his effort wide of Teale and the target, and a golden opportunity was missed.

And 15 minutes later he paid for that miss when Slough started their two-goal victory burst. Just minutes before the first goal, a brilliant run by James finished with a terrific shot going inches over the bar.

Leytonstone Ilford Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024