Hampton strike late to deny Rebels deserved victory

Hampton & Richmond

Hampton & Richmond

Barrington (90+2)
Slough Town

Slough Town

S Togwell (25)
League Attendance: 607 Matthew Lench
Hampton substitute Marcel Barrington struck with just seconds remaining to deny Slough a deserved three points at the Beveree on Saturday.

Slough welcomed two new signings, with Tommy Wood joining on loan from AFC Wimbledon and Dan Roberts on dual registration from Windsor. Hampton & Richmond also brought in a new signing in Barrington, and he would go on to make an immediate impact on his debut.

Despite the disappointment of the result, another Slough landmark was reached in the second half as Sean Fraser emerged from the bench to make his 300th appearance for the Rebels. Joining the club in August 2012, Fraser has now made the second most appearances for Slough in the 21st century, just behind Steve Daly who made 350.

The Rebels got the match off to a positive start, quickly pushing back the hosts and getting an early corner. Slough were awarded a second corner after just seven minutes as Mark Nisbet saw his shot deflected just around the post.

Slough very nearly took the lead on 12 minutes after they were awarded a free kick near the corner flag for a foul on George Wells. Wells stepped up to take the free kick and saw his initial cross punched away by goalkeeper Tom Lovelock. The ball only went out to the edge of the box though, where Matt Lench was able to head it back towards goal, but Rian Bray stretched to clear the ball off the line.

The game settled and Slough took the lead on 25 minutes. Wells was then taken out by Tyrell Miller-Rodney, giving Slough another dangerous free kick. Wells whipped the ball into the area and Sam Togwell powered a header into the bottom corner leaving Lovelock with no chance.

Slough continued to apply the pressure with low crosses from either side of the pitch via Warren Harris and Matt Lench. Another cross later on found Dunn, whose shot was blocked with Lench following up to curl the ball just the wrong side of the post.

The pitch became very heavy and was starting to cut up after a week of rain. With goalkeeper Lovelock taking his time with his kicks, Chris Flood was able to close him down on one occasion but unfortunately the ball bounced off him and out for a goal kick.

Five minutes before half time, Lench went close again as his half volley went just wide of the post. Then finally with two minutes left in the half Hampton had their first sight of goal as Craig Dundas was played through but his shot-come-cross went across the face of the goal and wide.

The second half got off to a slow start, and Slough replaced Ben Harris – who had picked up a yellow card early on – with recent loan signing Tommy Wood.

Wood was involved immediately as Warren Harris found him with a low cross, but the striker hit the ball onto his standing leg and wide for a goal kick.

On 64 minutes Slough should have doubled their lead. Lee Togwell did brilliantly to nip in ahead of his opponent to win the ball and play it forward to Flood, who was able to pick his head up and hit a cross to the back post. Lench was steaming in to meet it, but unfortunately couldn’t get the contact he was looking for as he stretched for the ball and was unable to put it back towards the goal.

The Beavers then brought on Barrington for Miller-Rodney as they looked to change formation and be more aggressive. However, Slough would have the next chance with Lench doing well to beat four defenders before narrowly hitting his shot over the bar.

A few minutes later Wood went close again as his diving header at the front post went just the wrong side of the netting.

Slough then made their second change, with Warren Harris making way for Louie Soares, and minutes later Fraser replaced Flood as the Rebels looked to try and see out the final ten minutes and hold on to the three points.

The away side still looked to counter-attack when they could though, and did exactly that when Fraser was played through, but he couldn’t beat Lovelock and score what would have been his fifth goal for the Rebels.

On 89 minutes Jack Turner was called upon to make his first save of the match, and a fine one it was. Dundas was free with the ball just eight yards out when Turner had to rush out, making himself as big as possible to deflect the shot over the crossbar.

Then, two minutes into stoppage time, Hampton dealt the sucker punch. A defensive mix-up led to Turner straying out of his goal to close down the ball, with it then being crossed in where Barrington rose highest to head into an empty net.

Referee Steven Hughes blew for full time immediately from kick off, and the Slough players slumped to the turf knowing they had just lost two points they more than deserved for their efforts.

Report: Will Tuck

Hampton & Richmond Lineup

Tom Lovelock, Tyrell Miller-Rodney (Marcel Barrington 66), Jack Connors, Sam Cox (c), Rian Bray, Simon Downer, Matty Wichelow (Ryan Hill 76), Roy Syla, Craig Dundas, Chris Dickson, Nana Kyei (Casey Maclaren HT). Unused substitutes: Ricky Wellard, Oliver Sprague.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024