Vital win as Rebels claim points

Slough Town

Slough Town

Roy Gumbs (25), Pritchard (pen 63), Daly (69)
Godalming Town

Godalming Town

Stanley (pen 35, 77)
League Attendance: 205 Roy Gumbs
Slough Town recorded their first win under Derek Sweetman to keep the pressure on Bracknell in the race for third bottom spot.

The home side made the first clear chance, with Roy Gumbs getting his head to a long ball, but seeing his effort cleared off the line with the ‘keeper stranded.

James Pritchard also saw a deflected effort saved by Aulsberry in a bright, confident opening for the Rebels.

Godalming began to threaten with Chris Wales attempting a looping effort from the edge of the box. Lee Carroll in the Slough goal appeared to tip the ball over, but no corner kick was awarded.

Another scare arrived soon after as a Godalming shot was fumbled weakly by Carroll, with the follow-up eventually cleared by Meddie Nsubuga after his initial effort had cannoned off the back of Dean Harper, returning from a four match ban.

Slough were not perturbed by these chances though, and took a 25th-minute lead with a first goal of the season from Roy Gumbs. John Gray headed on a cross from the left, and Gumbs towered above his marker to plant the ball past Aulsberry.

What followed was a crazy ten minutes which put Slough off their stride for the remainder of the first half. Immediately after the goal, Slough almost conceded as a right-wing cross appeared to clip the far post.

With Slough forced back into their own half, Godalming pressed on and won a highly dubious penalty in the 31st minute. Striker Graeme Purdy found himself through and bearing down on Lee Carroll. His effort on goal was cleared away from the goal by Harper. However, in the coming-together between Carroll and Purdy, referee Quelch adjudged that the ‘keeper had fouled the striker. After a few Rebels players had registered their disapproval to Mr Quelch, up stepped Brahim Ellouhmani. However, the striker’s decision to chip towards goal backfired on him as the ball rebounded straight back off the bar, with Carroll well beaten.

Just four minutes later, and the visitors were awarded another penalty, conceded again by Carroll. This time it was a clear foul on Purdy, who raced clear of Steve Daly only to be upended by the hapless ‘keeper, who it later emerged had broken a finger during the course of the first half. There were no doubts about the award, but Slough were fortunate that Carroll was only shown a yellow card when Purdy was clearly past the last defender. Glen Stanley made no mistake from the spot, sending Carroll the wrong way to level the scores.

Jamie Jackson replaced Carroll for the second half, and Slough flew out of the traps looking to restore their advantage.

In an incredible sequence of events, a corner kick into the box was met by Dean Harper steaming in at the near post. His effort was cleared off the line, with further efforts from Riddell and Roy Gumbs all cleared away with it looking almost impossible that the ball would not find the back of the net.

Minutes later, Slough had another effort cleared off the line, this time a towering header from Steve Daly. The veteran defender then put the rebound over the bar from the edge of the box.

At the other end, Jamie Jackson had to be at his best to deny Dennis Zadeikis, whose first time effort from Kiri’s cross was pushed wide.

Things turned in Slough’s favour with another disputed penalty award in the 63rd minute. Ansone Patterson was adjudged to have fouled Roy Gumbs with a high boot in the penalty area, and after consulting his assistant, the referee made the award and gave James Pritchard the chance to coolly slot the ball past Aulsberry to give Slough the advantage.

Six minutes later, and Slough gave themselves a cushion thanks to Steve Daly’s second goal in consecutive games. A long free kick from Dean Harper was played into box, and Daly won the ball with a customary towering header, looping it over the dive of Aulsberry to extend the Rebels’ lead.

A nervous end was ensured though, as the visitors pulled a goal back in the 77th minute. Graeme Purdy held the ball up superbly and Glen Stanley was afforded too much time and space to smash the ball past Jackson from close range.

Godalming could have snatched a point late on, but Graeme Purdy shot well wide when played through with a clear sight of goal.

Slough could have scored a fourth through substitute Danny Jeffreys, but the midfielder’s effort was pushed wide by Aulsberry. The Rebels held on for an important win, and now travel to the Isle of Wight on Saturday knowing another win is a must.

Godalming Town Lineup

Aulsberry, Wales, Kiri, Cook, Zadiekis, Patterson, Mariner (c), Haddad, Purdy, Ellouhmani, Stanley. Subs: Elliott, Steer, Goldsworthy, Mann.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024