Paulton ease past Rebels

Paulton Rovers

Paulton Rovers

Byant (30), Cleverly (65), Claridge (67)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Davies (78)
League Attendance: 200 Leon Woodruffe
Slough visited this idyllic Somerset setting searching for the points to kick start their season. After a warm welcome in the impressive club house the travelling Rebels were also pleased to see a lush green pitch that seemed ready to entertain a feast of football.

Adrian Browne was quickly into his stride replacing the injured Steve Daly and was lucky to escape with only a booking after two clumsy challenges in the first three minutes. However, Slough opened the game brightly with Woodruff posing a threat down the left flank and new signing Lee Charles looking to establish himself in the Rebels first team. He had the first clear chance as he was played in down the left side but his shot from an acute angle was smothered by Dyson in the Rovers goal.

Minutes later Paulton threatened when a spectacular overhead kick from Harrington flicked his own man to travel wide of France’s goal. Lee Charles threatened once more when played in from the left this time his attempted lob was well gathered by Dyson.

A neat move from Rovers on the half hour saw them take a lead that was barely deserved in an even and quiet opening spell. Claridge flicked a header to Dan Cleverley whose backheel was collected by Bryant whose looping effort was well beyond France.

Slough responded in typical style with Terry Davies unleashing a thirty yard shot which unfortunately was straight at Dyson.

The deficit was almost doubled as Lane hit a heavily deflected shot which wrong footed France and fortunately travelled wide.

The second half was soporific from a Slough perspective and they never really exerted any influence on the game as Rovers were able to take control. On 56 minutes the lead was finally doubled and Lane crossed to the far post from the by-line and Dan Cleverly forced the ball home.

Rovers now seemed to be creating chances at will and the third goal game after 70 minutes as they carved the Slough defence open and Claridge slotted the ball home from the edge of the area unchallenged. Rovers were now in total control and took the opportunity to utilise their subs and treated the final minutes as a practice.

Slough continued to battle and Deaner and Faircluth were introduced to try and improve the Rebels fortunes. Once again it was left to Terry Davies to add some consolation as he followed up to force home his own blocked shot to make it 3-1 on 80 minutes. Sadly for the Slough supporters there was no heroic comeback on the cards as the game drifted to an unsatisfactory finale.

Paulton Rovers Lineup

Dyson, Bryant (James), Marshall, Lane, Hudson, Casey, B Cleverley, Harrington (Rowlands), Claridge, D Cleverley, Shepherd (Hulbert).


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024