Rebels settle for point against Invicta

Slough Town

Slough Town

Seedel (63)
Folkestone Invicta

Folkestone Invicta

Glover (74)
League Attendance: 233 Michael Murphy
Slough’s defence sat back on their single goal lead and towards the end of the game were lucky to hold onto a draw.

Matt Seedel had opened Slough’s account with just over an hour gone, but Simon Glover pounced on weak defending to earn a deserved point for the visitors.

Slough manager Eddie Denton named an unchanged team to that which beat Cheshunt in the FA Cup at the weekend, but despite having most of the play in the first half, Slough could not claim all three points.

Folkestone struggled to compete in the first half, but despite piling on the pressure and creating chances, Slough couldn’t break the deadlock. An Alex Haddow cross created the first opportunity of the game, but his delivery was just too much for Ryan Spencer to meet, and from the resulting corner, a Steve Daly headed effort was wide of the mark.

It wasn’t long before Spencer was piling more pressure on the defence, after cutting through two defenders his shot from the edge of the box was just off target.

Haddow was creating many opportunities down the left wing, this time he set up Glen Harris but his shot was blocked by keeper Tony Kessell.

Slough’s best opportunity of the game came on 15 minutes. After a goalmouth scramble, Kessell pulled off a blinding save from a miscued Matt Seedel shot.

Josias Carbon, like Haddow, was creating chances down the right wing, but his finishing didn’t live up to his work rate, his effort from the edge of the box flying well over the bar.

But Carbon again created another chance moments later. Carbon made a good run down the wing, and his cut back and one-two with Harris saw Carbon in a tight position, He dug out a shot which hit the side netting.

Ryan Spencer showed why he is so highly rated by some spectators; after holding the ball up, he lofted a superbly weighted ball into Matt Seedel’s path, but the Rebels striker’s shot was weak and the keeper collected with ease.

A rare Folkestone effort on goal came about from a Darron Wilkinson mistake. Simon Glover pressured him and won the ball, but with only Jake Whincup to beat he decided to place the ball the same way as the diving keeper who blocked and collected the effort.

Haddow and Spencer were pairing up well on the left wing, and after a Haddow run and cross, Spencer hit a shot under pressure but went agonisingly wide of the post.

Folkestone had the last chance of the half, Wilkinson again losing possession in a dangerous area, leaving James Saulsbury in trouble, but Whincup again saved.

The second half saw the visitors start to get into their game. Michael Murphy was on hand to block and clear from a James Dryden shot, denying a clear effort on goal from the visitors who created neat play leading up to the shot.

Harris again created the next chance - his cross this time met Spencer’s head, but the keeper parried away the effort and the defence cleared for a corner. From the corner, Wilkinson collected the ball and made a run into the area before being bought down, but referee Mr C. Williams waved play on, much to the anger of the Slough fans behind the goal.

But Slough broke the deadlock with just over an hour gone. Glen Harris overlapped Alex Haddow on the left wing, and his cross was pounced on by Matt Seedel, whose drilled effort left keeper Kessell with little opportunity to save.

Eddie Denton decided to change scorer Seedel and Harris, who created the goal, for the returning Matt Murphy and Veli Hakki. This seemed to change the game against the home side. Slough started to sit back on their goal lead and this invited pressure from Folkestone. Michael Murphy headed a James Dryden long-range effort off the open goal line.

Just over ten minutes after taking the lead, Slough conceded the equaliser. James Saulsbury sliced a clearance, which hit the bar before going out for a corner. Poor defending left a goalmouth scramble, and Whincup saved one effort but whilst trying to find his feet, Simon Glover rifled a shot into the net to level the score.

Right on the stroke of 90 minutes, Slough should have scored a winner. Carbon drifted in a cross, which met Matt Murphy who was unmarked on the penalty spot, but his header was nearer to the corner flag than the goal.

Folkestone Invicta Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024