Rebels crushed at home by Eastleigh

Slough Town

Slough Town

Matt Murphy (pen 44)


Forbes (21, 43), Hughes (64), Thomas (74)
League Attendance: 237 Ryan Spencer
Slough’s recent run of poor form continued as they slumped to a 4-1 defeat to a neat looking Eastleigh outfit.

The Barmy Army were very subdued during the match where little was created by the home side, Slough’s only goal in three games coming from a spot-kick.

Slough manager Eddie Denton handed a debut to 17-year-old Michael Parkin between the sticks, and Ryan Spencer was also included in the line up as Slough’s injury-struck squad was down to the bare bones.

It was the visiting team who created the first chance of the game. Josias Carbon handled the ball just outside of the area, but Eastleigh’s skipper Martin Thomas blazed the ball well over the crossbar.

It wasn’t long before Ryan Spencer, playing as a striker, produced some of the touches that Slough have been missing during the early season. His delicate control and chip down the line fell directly into the path of Matt Murphy, but Murphy’s cross was too strong and was too much for a stretched Michael Murphy to finish.

But Slough came back soon after. Spencer again held the ball well and his vision and skills picked out Josias Carbon, but Colin Matthews easily saved Carbon’s shot from the edge of the box.

Slough continued to dominate early on and Spencer and Glen Harris played some beautiful football before Darron Wilkinson came in on the act. Wilkinson held the ball for way too long and eventually lost possession but luckily Steve Daly was on hand to deal with the break away.

This break seemed to spur Eastleigh on and from then on in the game was dominated by the visitors who played some real neat football. David Hughes delivered a dangerous cross into the Slough box, but there was no call from either Daly or Michael Parkin, and luckily the ball rolled out of play.

The play then went directly up the other end, Matt Murphy made a good run down the wing, his cross ended in a goal mouth scramble which fell to Christian Metcalfe on the edge of the box but his effort was blazed over the bar for a goal kick.

Eastleigh took the lead shortly after following on from sloppy midfield play from Darron Wilkinson. Steve Daly took too long to clear a ball, and then could then do little to stop Andy Forbes’ pace, with Forbes slotting the ball under Parkin to put the visitors 1-0 up on the night.

Slough could have easily conceded a second a moment later after Wilkinson again lost possession but this time Parkin managed to block the shot and clear the ball up field.

Eastleigh had another break midway through the half. Jamie Stokoe was one on one with Martin Moller who stood up well to the striker, Stokoe’s shot eventually curved past the far post.

It was Spencer who again created another Slough chance. This time he turned one defender and chipped another to set up Matt Murphy, but he scuffed the shot, which was easily dealt with by Colin Matthews in the visitors’ goal.

Wilkinson, having a poor game along with a number of others, was to blame for the next Eastleigh break too - his pass to Glen Harris was far too weak and was intercepted by Andy Forbes, but his shot was well wide of the mark. Moments later central midfielder Wilkinson was replaced by centre back Nick Gyoury due to an injury.

Then with only three minutes left on the clock before half time, Eastleigh extended their lead. Glen Harris lost possession in the middle of the park, Sam Wyeth played the ball up field and fell to Andy Forbes who turned Steve Daly with ease and tucked the ball under Parkin to score his and his team’s second of the game.

But then with a minute left, Michael Murphy was bought down in the Eastleigh area, the referee pointing for a penalty kick. Matt Murphy confidently stepped up and slotted the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal, but Eastleigh led 2-1 at the break.

During the half time break the fans were rewarded with the Player of the Month award. Mark Radford presented the August award to Slough’s on loan goalkeeper Jake Whincup, who left the stadium with a bottle of champagne for his efforts.

But the fans were soon struck back down to earth when James Saulsbury let David Hughes run free into the area, but Parkin committed himself and blocked the shot soon after the half time break.

Eastleigh then replaced their two-goal star with Martin Beck, but sadly that change didn’t stop the goals flying in.

Midway through the second half Eastleigh were handed another break. David Hughes roamed unmarked in the penalty area and placed the ball into the back of the net passed the nervy Michael Parkin to make it 3-1.

Eddie Denton then made a change of his own. Michael Murphy had created a number of opportunities during the game, but another left sided player in Danny Steer replaced him.

But then Eastleigh extended their lead. Sam Wyeth ran unmarked and unchallenged down the right wing, and his cross fell into the path of Martin Thomas, the Eastleigh skipper placing the ball past the Slough debutant Parkin.

Although there were no more goals to be scored, there were plenty more chances. Michael Parkin pulled off a few good saves, one at full stretch from Martin Beck, but Slough seemed finished, and Eastleigh saw out the rest of the game to deservedly claim all three points.

Slough have now conceded nine goals in their last three games and only scored one through a set piece. The Rebels travel to Croydon Athletic in the FA Cup on Saturday, and a much stronger performance is needed if they are to get anything from the game.

Eastleigh Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024