Next match

Team logo
Burnham (A)
Sat Jul 1

Next match

Team logo
Burnham (A)
Sat Jul 1 17:30
The Vanarama National League South

Hodges & Murphy On The Scoresheet

| League
Att: 254
Slough Town
Hodges (34, pen), Mi Murphy (53)
2 - 0
Harrow Borough
Veli Hakki
Following the opening day defeat at Dover the Rebels recorded their first win back in the Ryman’s Premier Division at home to Harrow Borough. Eddie Denton’s men controlled the game in rain swept conditions at Stag Meadow with Michael Murphy adding to Ian Hodges’ penalty to give Slough a deserved 2-0 victory.

The Rebels lined up with one change from the game at Dover with Matt Seedal replacing Matt Miller who had picked up an ankle injury in training and it was Seedal who had the first opportunity of the match glancing a header narrowly wide from a Darron Wilkinson cross in the 4th minute. The young striker went even closer after 10 minutes when another header brought a fine save from Keita Karamoko in the Harrow goal who clawed the ball away as it flew towards the top corner.

Eddie Denton had stated at the end of last season his intentions to make Slough play football in the right way and a brilliant interchange of passes put Ian Hodges through on 19 minutes only for him to toe poke his shot well wide. As had been the case in the first half at Dover, the trio of Hakki, Metcalfe and Wilkinson controlled the midfield and it was the inspirational Hakki who almost broke the deadlock on 26 minutes. A foul on Ian Hodges resulted in a free kick from 25 yards which the midfielder curled over the wall only to see Karamoko tip the ball behind for a corner. Almost immediately Harrow had a similar chance at the other end which resulted in Jake Whincup producing a fine save low down to his left to hold the ball.

Slough continued to press with neat passing and good movement and got the breakthrough on 34 minutes from the penalty spot after a clumsy foul by Wayne Walters. Again it was Hakki who caused the Harrow defence problems and as he collected a pass inside the box he was needlessly bundled off the ball by the Harrow defender as he was moving away from goal. The referee had no hesitation to award the kick and last season’s top scorer Ian Hodges opened his account with a neat penalty sending the ball to the keepers left as he dived the other way. Just before half time, Slough survived a scare when a free kick right on the edge of the 18 yard box was curled wide by Fabio Valenti.

If the home side were looking to press home their advantage with a second goal they got a dream start to the second half on 53 minutes. A corner from the right was not cleared by the Harrow defence and after shots by Seedel and Hodges were blocked, defender Michael Murphy followed up to fire home for a rare goal in a Rebels shirt.

Slough continued to move the ball well but played deeper following the second goal although Harrow surprisingly preferred to concentrate on playing an aggressive game rather than offering much going forward which at times had looked quite effective. Having been lenient for most of the match referee Mr Field finally lost patience with Harrow’s touch tackling approach when he booked Osman Hasan for a foul on Ian Hodges.

The Rebels should have added to their tally in the 84th minute from another right sided corner although Steve Daly inexplicably failed to make contact with the ball in the six yard box when it seemed easier to score and the fans’ expressions of disbelief were mirrored by the Slough captain himself.

The final chance of the match fell to Matt Seedal who was put through with a quickly taken free kick but he delayed his shot allowing a combination of defender and keeper to block his shot.

Harrow Borough Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023