Rebels Romp To Robins Win

Slough Town

Slough Town

Boot (24), Gyoury (68), Haddow (70), Miller (85)
Bracknell Town

Bracknell Town

Underwood (90)
League Attendance: 251 Paul Barrowcliff
Slough Town chalked up three more points on Tuesday night, defeating local rivals Bracknell Town 4-1.

A Tony Boot penalty opened the scoring before the floodgates opened late in the second half.

The Rebels looked the sharpest from the kick off, and it only took two minutes for Matt Miller and Slough’s first chance of the game. A great ball from Paul Barrowcliff found the feet of Miller, but his effort rattled against the side netting.

Ryan Spencer was also a threat early on, but Martin Hutt in the Bracknell goal took his weak effort with ease.

The returning Darron Wilkinson also saw his cross wasted by Spencer, as his bicycle kick ended up at the far end of the car park. But Bracknell showed it wasn’t all going to be one way traffic; Gavin Smith’s long range effort was deflected wide by Anthony Howard, Jamie Clarke heading just wide of the mark from the resulting corner.

Clarke again had a chance minutes later, but his one-on-one with Alan Foster proved too tough, Foster handling the pressure with ease.

Slough stepped up the tempo after 20 minutes. Michael Cook could not contain Howard but his powerfully-headed effort was also wide of the mark.

Then came Slough’s breakthrough. Skillful play from Howard saw his cross fall perfectly to Spencer, whose effort was cleared by Michael Cook but only as far as Miller whose effort was handled by Bracknell’s skipper Jon Underwood. Tony Boot converted the resulting penalty to put the home side 1-0 up in the 24th minute, and from then on it was Slough’s half.

Ryan Spencer’s class shone through yet again when his perfectly weighted cross fell to Ian Hodges, but his effort on the turn was easily taken by Hutt. Spencer also had another excellent shot saved moments later - he drilled the ball goalwards from the edge of the box but Hutt pulled off a great save, and Steve Daly couldn’t do any better with the rebound as he watched it roll wide of the mark.

Despite watching the Manchester United v Arsenal game only days before, it seemed both sides had the same idea - Boot was taken down by Michael Cook, but Boot, silly enough to react was rewarded with a yellow, as were Cook and Smith on the Bracknell side. Darron Wilkinson was also cautioned right on half time with a nasty looking lunge on James Glynn.

It was a very slow start to the second half. John Palmer and Adam Crittendon both had decent chances for the visitors but saw their chances hit a tree and the corner flag respectively. Alex Haddow’s low cross found its way to Wilkinson on the 50 minute mark, but the Slough midfielder tried to do too much and flicked it wide of the mark.

Slough extended their lead on the 68th minute. A well-taken Spencer free kick was deflected to the touch line, where Nick Gyoury squeezed in a shot from a very tight angle which Hutt fumbled over the line to put the Rebels 2-0 up.

Number three came two minutes later. Alex Haddow saw fresh air all the way from the Slough box and despite having his shorts pulled and tugged at by Neil Baker, he managed to lob Hutt and tuck the ball nicely under the bar, much to the delight of the Slough following.

Gavin Smith put yet another simple chance wide of the mark, this time managing to somehow hit the turnstiles, in another display of poor finishing.

Matt Miller was on hand to tuck away Slough’s fourth of the evening, a one-on-one which the striker buried under the keeper to confirm the Rebels were still hungry. Yet it was the visitors who had the last laugh - as a Jon Underwood corner managed to direct itself into the Slough goal -
but it proved only to be a consolation goal as Slough strolled away with all three points.

Bracknell Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024