Blues Beat Rebels At The Stag

Slough Town

Slough Town

Boot (25)


Isaac (34), Pritchard (75)
League Attendance: 318 Danny Steer
Slough lost their first competitive match of the season at Stag Meadow and will rue allowing Marlow back into a game in which they took the lead and controlled for much of the first half.

With Steve Daly absent through injury Nick Gyoury assumed the captains role and he could have made it a dream start after just three minutes when a succession of early corners resulted in him powering a header just over the bar. Slough continued their upbeat beginning to the match and had further chances through Tony Boot and Matt Miller with still less than ten minutes on the clock.

Boot was instrumental during Slough’s early pressure and won a corner after seventeen minutes after latching onto a through ball although Karl Croft should be thankful that the referee failed to spot the shirt pulling on last seasons leading scorer. The resulting corner almost saw Slough take the lead but Adrian Brown just failed to adjust his position as the ball was fired across the face of goal.

Eight minutes later the early pressure was made to count as a long ball found Matt Miller who was fouled by a Marlow defender. As the referee allowed play to continue the ball ran loose to Tony Boot on the edge of the box and he picked his spot low to the keepers left for his second goal in two games.

The visitors had been gradually coming back into the match as the first half wore on and were level on thirty-four minutes shortly after the injured Chris Payne was replaced by Freddie Hyatt. A ball down the left channel was played behind Adrian Brown and the low cross to the far post was stroked home by the unmarked John Isaac.

The Rebels almost regained the lead at the start of the second half from yet another Glen Harris corner. As the ball was swung across it was dummied by Boot and Matt Miller was unlucky to see his hooked shot cleared off the line.

Despite half chances continuing to fall their way Slough struggled to control the game with both Hyatt and Spencer having poor games in midfield. The main threat for the Rebels continued to be the pace of Danny Steer on the left and after sixty-two minutes his curling cross was headed goalbound by Matt Miller although well saved by Kieran Drake.

Marlow took the lead with a quarter of an hour to go after Slough keeper Alan Foster, who had survived a similar incident in the first half, clumsily conceded a penalty. Bobby Wilkinson latched onto a through ball and advanced into the box and as Foster raced off his line he dived at the feet of the Marlow player bringing him down leaving the referee with no alternative but to point to the spot. James Pritchard sent the Rebels keeper the wrong way from the resulting penalty kick to the delight of the handful of travelling Marlow supporters.

With ten minutes to go Eddie Denton threw on Ian Hodge and Andy Deaner in search of an equaliser although Glen Harris and Danny Steer will consider themselves unlucky to have been replaced as they seemed to be Slough’s main attacking threat.

The Rebels knew their luck was out as with almost the last kick of the match they saw the ball cannon back off the inside of the post as Matt Miller challenged defender and keeper from a long Freddie Hyatt throw.

Marlow Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024