Rebels Held Again

Slough Town

Slough Town

Own Goal (67)


Bamford (90 pen)
League Attendance: 505 Darron Wilkinson
Gutted - that's the feeling that most Slough Town players and supporters felt after a 95th minute penalty by Uxbridge captain Stuart Bamford saw the Rebels draw again for the seventh time in twelve league matches.

In front of Slough's second biggest attendance of the season, with only the games at Kingstonian v's Aldershot and Sutton v's Canvey attracting bigger gates in the whole of the Ryman league the home crowd hoped that the Rebels would secure another home victory.

In truth the match was far from a classic on the bobbily Wexham Park pitch - probably in the worst condition it has been in all season, with few chances for each side. The Rebels yet again had the majority of possession with the Reds looking to hit the home side on the break.

In the first half Slough looked the more likely of the sides to open the scoring with Christian Metcafe hitting a shot over from the edge of the penalty area early on.

The real chance of the first half though fell to Uxbridge's Stuart Bamford who saw his glancing header from a free-kick saved by goalkeeper Dominique Jean-Zepherin.

The second half was very similar to the first half with few chances again, but in the sixty seventh minute Slough took the lead in bizarre circumstances.

A long ball from Tony Boot seemed to be going straight to goalkeeper Darryl Pelton with no Slough attacker in sight. Defender Kevin Swift decided to head the ball back to the goalkeeper, but got too much on his header only to see the ball loop over Pelton into the back of the net.

Slough then had two good chances to score again The first fell to Ricky Browne who saw his header from a Michael Gilkes corner saved by goalkeeper Pelton.

Pelton was called into action again when the best move of the match involving Dean Palmer and Ian Hodges saw the goalkeeper get down to save Palmer's low shot.

Just as it seemed that the Rebels would hold onto a vital home victory a long-ball into the penalty area fell to Kevin Thorn who was brought down in the penalty area by returning substitute Anthony Howard.

With almost the final kick of the game Gavin Bamford stepped up and hit the ball into the corner of the net to secure a last-gasp draw for the away side.

As the final whistle went the frustration was clear to see Steve Daly put his hands to his head, Ian Hodges kicked the advertising boardings and Rebels fans on the terraces stood in silence as Slough surrendered another injury-time goal to deny them all the points.

Uxbridge Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024