Ding Sent Out Of Cup

Slough Town

Slough Town

Stanley (53), Anderson (57)


Dicker (28)
FA Cup Attendance: 930 Ian Hazel
Yeading kicked off on a dry blustery day, but within the first minute Slough had gained a free-kick inside the visitors half. The free-kick came to nothing and the resulting defensive clearance fell to Yeading's Hector Welsh on the left. He beat Whitby but before he could shoot Trevor Bunting got down well to smother the ball.

We gained the first of our nine corners after four minutes. Les Briley's cross found McKinnon, but his header was well saved by the visitors' keeper MacKenzie. Thereafter Welsh broke free of our defence, but Mark Foran did well to recover his ground and regained the ball to relieve the pressure.

As the half wore on we gradually took control, putting the Yeading defence under almost continuous pressure, with the visitors limited to the occasional breaks. Mark Foran's header hit the bar and Andy Sayer's follow-up shot hit the same place. Cleared for a corner, Friel's cross found Anderson at the far post but his header was again denied by the woodwork, striking the post.

We were creating good chances, but they were often spoilt by a poor final touch. McKinnon shot on the turn from an Allan Pluckrose cross, but MacKenzie did well to save.

Yeading were awarded a free-kick after 28 minutes and it was floated long and high into the home penalty area on the left. Yeading's Phil Dicker and Bunting both challenged, but the ball hit Dicker on the head and the ball looped up and into an empty net to put us 1-0 down.

We continued to push forward however and good work by Hazel, Friel and Pluckrose went unrewarded. Hazel was unlucky when he chipped MacKenzie when off his line, but the bounce took the ball agonisingly wide of the right hand post. Maxwell's long throw-in caused confusion in the Yeading defence, but Sayer's shot flew wide of the target. Moments later a Mark Foran header dipped just over the bar and we turned around a goal behind.

We stormed into attack at the start of the second half and Mark Foran had his shot from a Friel cross blocked. Hazel and Friel both had shots blocked and finally MacKenzie saved to relieve the pressure.

After 53 minutes Neal Stanley came on for Maxwell and the move seemed to change our pattern of attack. Success came after 62 minutes when Hazel won the ball in midfield. Pushed wide to Whitby who, in turn, put in a fine cross which was only parried by MacKenzie. Stanley followed up from ten yards out and volleyed home the equaliser.

Four minutes later we took the lead. A free-kick outside the Yeading 18-yard box on the right was crossed into the box for Anderson to head in from close range to make it 2-1.

Slough continued to push forward for the third with both Hazel and Friel have opportunities to extend our lead. Yeading were restricted to the occasional half-chances although the last few minutes could have produced an equaliser, with Dicker heading just over when well placed and Quinn shot wide when clear of the Rebels' defence.

Yeading Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024