McKinnon magic!

Slough Town

Slough Town

McKinnon (21, 24, 0-3), Mallinson (75)
Redbridge Forest

Redbridge Forest

League Attendance: 910 Paul McKinnon
Paul McKinnon was the star of the show with a superb first half hat trick. He silenced his critics with a devastating display of finishing and allied with Mark Mallinson's strike took Slough's goal tally to 11 in two games.

The Rebels shot into fifth place and McKinnon to the top of the Mail on Sunday goalscoring list with this display — after boss Alan Davies was almost without 11 fit players that morning. Steve Whitby's face fracture added to Neal Stanley poisoning himself with pills to cure toothache meant that Francis Joseph travelled from Barnet — still as a free agent to help out. Steve Thompson, Allan Pluckrose, Colin Fielder and Mark Mallisnson were all carrying knocks.

The game could have taken a different direction if Trevor Bunting hadn't tipped Ian Docker's header over the bar for a magnificent first minute save. Redbridge had a good early start but failed to look dangerous and when the Rebels went forward they looked good every time.

Darren Anderson's superb ball split the Redbridge defence and Thompson's effort was saved low by keeper Kevin Foster. With 21 minutes on the clock the rout began. Thompson's dipped volley from 20 yards bounced awkwardly for Foster who dropped it at his feet and there was McKinnon, right place, right time and half hour ahead of everyone else to finish.

Three minutes later and Thompson passed to McKinnon who sidestepped one defender, drew the keeper and finished with class.
The Rebels were stylish and precise. They got well on top and knocked the ball around with aplomb leaving Forest chasing shadows.

After a fine display of passing and possession Gary Donnellan motored into space on the right and sent over a fine low cross which McKinnon turned in at the far post with a deft touch.

Then Pluckrose vollied over after a McKinnon cross and the Rebels were on the rampage.

But after the interval Redbridge dominated without looking dangerous enough to pose a threat to the Slough lead. With Fielder sweeping, the visitors got extra men into midfield and dominated from there, pegging back the Rebels for long periods. Redbridge just did not threaten and though they had much of the possession, just couldn't break down Slough.

Slough weathered the storm and came storming back when they started to get the ball back to feet. Pluckrose's fine effort was just over but with 75 minutes on the clock the ball ran loose in the box after Thompson's challenge on Steve Conner and Mallinson finished from close range.

McKinnon then had his header tipped over by Foster after Pluckrose had crossed and Mark Hill's near post header rebounded off the bar from a corner. It was a pity the whistle went as the Rebels were storming and sent the crowd home with much to talk about.

Redbridge Forest Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024