Next match

Team logo
Taunton Town (A)
Tue Mar 5

Next match

Team logo
Taunton Town (A)
Tue Mar 5 19:45
The Vanarama National League South

Rebels robbed by Hughie the Fish

Fisher Ath

Fisher Ath

Mann (1-1)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Turkington (1)
League Attendance: 373 Mark Turkington
Slough improved their away form to three matches unbeaten after this contest at the Surrey Docks Stadium though they were denied victory in the last few minutes.

This game could have passed as an end of season jaunt for two mid table sides, warm sunshine, little atmosphere and a slow pace.

Surprise of the day was the return of Trevor Bunting in goal which was greeted with a tremendous cheer, this being the only change from the side the previous week.

But 'The Fish’ had the psychological advantage knowing they had beaten the Rebels twice recently in the two leg Bob Lord Trophy tie.

But Mark Turkington's debut goal for Slough after 42 seconds dispelled any possible hang ups.

Superb play from both Tommy Langley and Neal Stanley, released Turkington wide on the left and he rounded the keeper to finish well with many fans still coming through the turnstiles.

The Rebels started superbly and had the home side stretched but gradually the pace of the game slowed on a bobbly pitch.

Fisher managed to get to grips with the game and though they began to have more possession they did little with it in the face of a strong Slough defence.

Neither side created anything for much of the first half, Fisher pushing the ball around their defence but hardly penetrating and Slough determined at the back but finding themselves closed down quickly when pushing forward.

Hughie Mann was guilty of a couple of misses when well placed for Fisher as the half wore on but the best of the action came after 40 minutes when Mark Hill's powerful free kick was punched away by the Athletic keeper.

The home side raised the pace after the restart and though they pushed forward well on the flanks, they could never quite get around the Slough full backs.

A total lack of atmosphere among the paltry 373 crowd made you wonder if there could possibly be anything as unimportant as three points at stake.

"The Fish" won a string of corners and Bunting punched well, pulling off a magnificent save after 51 minutes when diving low to flick Gary Blackford’s header off the line.
Dominance seemed to ebb and flow between the sides and the midfield men were at the heart of whoever held the upper hand. Tommy Langley fired wide after good work from Thompson, and the striker was replaced by Stuart Brown after 61 minutes.

The movement forward saw Slough snuffed out on the edge of the Fisher box and the home side just couldn't create a chance at the other end. But with the game drawing to a close and the Slough defence on top, the ball was whipped into the Rebels area where Darren Anderson's chest down fell kindly for Mann to fire home.

Boss Alan Davies, was left saying: “It wasn't a great game and a point away from home is good but we should have had all three.”

Fisher Ath Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024