Next match

Team logo
Farnborough (A)
Sat Sep 23

Next match

Team logo
Farnborough (A)
Sat Sep 23 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Rebels Rocked By Cup Nightmare

| FA Cup
Att: 925
Slough Town
Thompson (20), Langley (41)
2 - 3
Farnborough Town
Rowland (46), Wigmore (62), Wallace (75)
Steve Thompson
SLOUGH looked set for a trip to Salisbury in the next round of the FA cup on Saturday with a 2-0 half time lead, but gutsy Farnborough had other ideas.The second half rapidly diminished into disaster for the Rebels as they were outclassed by their Beazer Homes League opponents.
This important second qualifying round clash had pitted two rivals of a short but explosive history, and this game proved to be no different.

Slough lined up with four at the back in what looked a move to make full use of home advantage. Mark Mallinson was replaced by Robbie Johnson, Mark Turkington came into midfield for his home debut and Mark Adams made a surprise comeback after everyone had given him up to join the police force.

Stuart Brown also made his home debut up front and Tommy Langley returned. Both Phil Stacey, who is not allowed to play in case Barnet need him, and Frank Murphy, who has returned to the Bees, were missing.

Slough almost notched a stunning opener after five minutes, with goalkeeper Sean Lahiffs drop kick bouncing over the head of his opposite number — John Power who recovered to make a miraculous save inches from the line.

Four minutes later Power superbly tipped over Darren Anderson's header, but it was Farnborough who made the early running. Both Jamie Horton and Andy Wallace were superb, they got in behind the Slough full backs, who were set for a torrid afternoon.

Their midfield was strong and they looked the better bet for the first goal with some dangerous balls into the box. But after 20 minutes it was the Rebels who went ahead, Thompson firing home a loose ball after Langley's challange for a header.

Both Tony Dell and Colin Fielder went into the back in quick succession but with four minutes of the half remaining, Slough were two up. Lahiff made an excellent near post save from Brian Broome 's flick and his long clearance was chested by Brown into the path of Langley, who went on to finish at the second attempt.

The Rebels had soaked up the visitor's pressure well, but the second half saw a total reverse. The referee for his part made some inconsistent decisions, and it was one of these that gave the visitors the chance to get back into the game at just the right time. With only a minute of the second half played, Farnborough were given a free kick on the edge of the Slough box, which they decided to take quickly and wasted.But Mr Griffiths decided to give them a second bite at the cherry and Keith Rowland stepped up to curl a beautiful shot into the top corner.

Farnborough were inspired and the Rebels found it hard to string more than three passes together and were left chasing shadows at times. With 62 minutes gone Farnborough were level, Slough's vulnerability from crosses once again exposed when Horton crossed for Wigmore to head home at the near post.

Mark Turkington was soon replaced by Neal Stanley in an effort to get something going up front, but with Steve Thompson having too much to do, nothing materialised. It was all over with 15 minutes left, Lahiff making a mess of a corner with Wallace simply knocking the ball home.
Power wasn't tested by Slough in the second half and it was Farnborough who almost made the score embarrassing when Wallace hit the bar with three minutes left.

Farnborough Town Line up


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023