Steele-y Defence Keeps Rebels Out

Slough Town

Slough Town

Bognor Regis Town

Bognor Regis Town

League Attendance: 503 Tony Dell
Last year's first team 'keeper Simon Steele returned to the Bognor side to defy Slough at Wexham Park on Saturday.

The Rebels had much of this Vauxhall League Premier Division tie, dominating in fits and starts, but just couldn't find the scoring touch, against a solid defence. Manager Alan Davies said after the game: "We had a lot of the ball but didn't put it in the back of the net. "That is a side we should have beaten and we are disappointed not to get three points."

Bognor played with a well organised, if uninspiring defence, which often charged forward as a unit to catch the Slough forwards offside. The visitors built very slowly from the back, trying to control the pace of the game, and the Rebels will be frustrated at not taking the points from a side which did a job of shutting down the Slough forwards effectively.

When opportunities arose, the Slough men found Simon Steele, the Bognor 'keeper, who only returned to the side after first choice Lee Edwards was injured, in determined form. Captain Mark Hill remained on the substitutes' bench all afternoon, but looks fit to return to the side soon. The game kicked off on a damp and windy afternoon, and the Rebels were immediately in the action, Gary Dodd heading Steve Thompson's cross over.

Minutes later, Thompson released Mark Adams, who crossed from the left, but Langley's miscue went wide, Stanley picking up the loose ball and crossing to Dell, who saw his effort blocked in front of goal. After 18 minutes, Adams was released again, and his cross was headed just wide of the mark by Stanley.

Bognor would have taken the lead if it wasn't for Trevor Bunting, who saved well from Burnside at the near post, and then pulled off a superb diving save at the feet of Bird, after he had been left with an open goal following Poole's flick.

Dodd had the best chance of the first half, but saw his header saved well by Steele following Adam's corner. Early in the second half, Thompson's one-two with Stanley put him in front of goal, but the ball was well saved by Steele, and a few minutes later, Trevor How cleared Wakefield's effort off the line.

Jeff Bateman was left with only Steele to beat after neat play with Thompson, but could only poke the ball goal-wards for it to be saved again. With 76 minutes gone, Tommy Langley was unlucky not to fire Slough ahead in spectacular fashion, Tony Dell having played an intelli gent ball to Adams, whose chip was pounced on by Langley, the strikers ferocious effort rebounding from the bar with Steele well beaten.

Steele came out on top in the latter stages, Stanley found himself in the clear after Cox's mistake, but the Bognor 'keeper won the duel, and just before the final whistle, he saved Langley's header after a Johnson free kick.

Bognor Regis Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024