Four goal Rebels move top again

Slough Town

Slough Town

Gaston o.g. (3), Kiely (28), Young (44), Bishop (84)


League Micky Kiely
SLOUGH Town started one of the most important periods in the club's history, in which they could bring a unique treble back to Wexham Park, with a convincing victory over Croydon on Saturday.

And with Wycombe Wanderers losing at home to Hendon, the Rebels are once again top of the Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division.

Three of the goals came in a good first half display, which without being described as "brilliant" was the sort of convincing form one would expect from a side challenging strongly for the league championship. The counter attraction of the Grand National live on television contributed to one of the lowest crowds seen at Wexham Park for a home match this season.

Manager Laurie Churchill made just one change from the side which had reached the Hitachi Cup final in midweek - Johnny Bishop returning in place of Terry Reardon.

The Rebels always looked to have the match well under their control from the moment an own-goal put them ahead after just three minutes.

Micky Kiely broke on the left and showing tremendous pace outran the Croydon defence before crossing. And the unfortunate Reg Gaston in trying to clear the danger, with Dave Russell closing in dangerously, only succeeded in turning the ball past his own goalkeeper. This was just the boost Slough required to alleviate the kind of tension which mounts in a championship bid.

However twice in the space of two minutes Croydon came desperately close to getting back on level terms. Both chances were the result of huge kicks by 'keeper Peter Mills, which beat a Slough defence clearly looking for offside decisions which never came.

First Alan Prime fired over the bar when clean through and then Richard Teale grabbed the ball from the toes of Warren as he was about to go past the 'keeper and seemingly score. But the Rebels quickly reasserted their authority with Bishop, Kiely and Russell working energetically up front and the midfield starting a string of delightful moves which only lacked the finishing touches once inside the Croydon danger area.

With 28 minutes gone Slough scored their second goal. Morrissey took a quick free kick on the right to Russell, and his deep cross was powerfully headed down by Eric Young and Kiely stooped low to head home past a stranded Croydon defence.

A third Rebels goal before the interval always looked a good bet as Croydon's early attacking ideas subsided into a battle to keep Slough out.

After Bishop had been unlucky to see an effort clip the post the third goal came in the 44th minute. Keith White's well struck corner from the left was powerfully met by Young and firmly deposited into the back of the net. This was the central defender’s second goal in two games and eighth this season.

The second half never really reached any great heights, with the Rebels dominating and playing some attractive football and Croydon mainly relying on quick breaks which they hoped would catch the well disciplined and composed Slough defence out.

However after 55 minutes Croydon did come close to scoring. A cross from the left found Alec Jackson and his header appeared to have provided Teale with a comfortable save. But the ball bounced off his chest and over his head as he frantically tried to repair the damage. With a goal looking certain Teale somehow managed to claw the ball out and it was finally cleared off the line.

The long awaited fourth Rebels goal came with six minutes left and once again it was the determination of Kiely which created it. Just minutes previously a twisting header from Kiely had brought a fine save from Mills.

He challenged for the ball on the right, won it, and sent over a fine cross which Bishop met with a glancing header which went in at the near post. This was his first league goal for Slough since signing from Enfield last month. So the Rebels collected their fourth £40 win bonus this season and three more vital points in their bid for the title.

It was a good all-round workmanlike performance against a side who despite their lowly league position are never easy to beat. At the start of the match Laurie Churchill would clearly have settled for the final scoreline and the smile on his face at the final whistle showed that he was delighted another important hurdle had been cleared in his sides bid for a remarkable treble this season.

Croydon Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024