Teale's great saves earn vital point

Slough Town

Slough Town



League Richard Teale
WINNING matches is all about scoring goals and although Enfield dominated much of this game at Wexham Park on Saturday, their inability to turn numerous chances into goal helped Slough Town to a vital point in their bid for the Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division title.

Although many of the 1,000 plus spectators may consider the Rebels lucky to escape their first league defeat at Wexham Park this season, Slough were not without their own chances and could well have made Enfield pay for missing some golden opportunities.
Slough also have to thank goalkeeper Richard Teale, who pulled off some spectacular saves especially in the second half.

For this vital match Rebels manager Laurie Churchill recalled Dave Yerby at right back in preference to Steve Norman. Eggie James was ruled out with the injury he received at Bishop Stortford during the week, and Johnny Bishop stepped in against the club he left last month.

However Bishop was given few opportunities to shine by the solid and well disciplined Enfield defence, and the Rebels' attack certainly missed the height of James in their attempts to break down the visitors’ back four.

After weeks of playing on wet, heavy pitches, it took both sides a while to settle to the conditions - a hard pitch and blazing sunshine. It was only the crossbar which prevented Enfield from taking the lead after 20 minutes, when a scorching shot from Steve King beat Teale but struck the top of the crossbar. Flint was quickly in on the rebound, but Eric Young eventually cleared the danger.

Minutes later one of the best moves of the match almost resulted in a Slough goal. Micky Kiely and Bishop combined well on the left and the eventual ball sent Dave Russell clear. But his final effort on the turn and from a difficult angle flew just over the bar.

A superb pass from Pat Morrissey, which switched play from right to left and split the Enfield defence, then ended with Kiely's brave effort running inches past the far post after he had out run the defence.
Teale then had to make good saves to foil King and Barrett in the closing minutes of the half.

The second half saw Enfield begin to dominate the action, and gradually take control of the midfield and build up a string of dangerous attacks. They were particularly impressive on the left side, with many of their build ups stemming from full back John Tone, who had an outstanding match. But Yerby gave a battling display and on numerous occasions broke down these attacks with timely interventions.

Flint also caused problems after the interval with his direct running and powerful shooting ability. He forced a superb save from Teale after 48 minutes, and then presented Gibson with a simple chance three minutes later when the Rebels defence got themselves into a terrible mess. But from five yards Gibson placed his effort over the bar.

At the other end, Kiely always looked the most likely Slough player to break the deadlock and he almost made the Enfield defence pay for a moment’s indecision in the 60th minute. It then took a goal-line clearance by Keith White to foil Barrett, while a fine run down the left by Dave Russell ended with a shot into the side netting.

With 10 minutes remaining, Churchill replaced Russell with Rowan Dodds, but it took another fine save from Teale to prevent Flint from giving Enfield the lead.

While Enfield were the better side on this occasion, Slough always looked capable of scoring the goal which would decide the issue. However much of the match was dominated by the towering central defenders of both sides - Young and Dave Waites - who stifled most of the attacks.

Enfield Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024