Super Eggie James goal puts holders Enfield out

Slough Town

Slough Town

James (43)


Isthmian Lge Cup Unknown
A SPARKLING goal from Eggie James, after 43 minutes, and a highly disciplined and polished display from the Slough Town defence, put holders Enfield out of the Hitachi Cup in the quarter-final at Wexham Park on Tuesday evening.

Although throughout the second half the Rebels came under a constant barrage of attacks from Enfield, this season's FA Cup giant killers were unable to penetrate Slough's defence in which central defenders Eric Young and John Beyer were superb.

And when Enfield did finally break through in the closing minutes, an effort from Lee Holmes was ruled out by the referee for offside.

Perhaps this Slough performance lacked some of the sparkling attacking play they are capable of producing. But once James had scored it was simply a case of containing an Enfield side which at times showed just why they have dominated Isthmian League football for so many years.

A crowd of well over 1,000 saw the Rebels dominate the first 20 minutes and twice leading goalscorer Micky Kiely went close to opening their account. Then a move involving the dangerous Barry Friend and James ended with Micky O'Sullivan shooting just wide from a good position. But slowly Enfield began to get on top with some highly-disciplined and skilful build-ups. First, after 30 minutes a header from defender Tony Gibson struck the Slough crossbar and then Steve Oliver's shot was cleared off the line.

And a minute later a cross from Steve King was headed home by John Bishop - but the referee had already spotted a foul by Holmes before the ball entered the net. At the other end James and Keith White worked well together in a confined space only to see the ball agonisingly run across the face of the Enfield goal before it was cleared.

But after 43 minutes, the Rebels had their moment of glory with a superb goal - which turned out to be the winner. Pat Morrissey collected the ball well in his own half and a fine searching run ended with him sending James through. Facing two defenders the Rebels striker lost the ball, won it back again, and then let fly a scorching shot which flew past John Jacobs into the right hand side of the net for a superb goal.

The second half belonged almost entirely to Enfield, but for all their possession and superb distribution at times of the ball they were unable to break down Slough's defence. Time and time again they pumped high balls into the Rebels' penalty area, but Young and Beyer were always on hand to clear the danger. With full-backs Vic Akers and Steve Norman also containing the lively Enfield forwards and O'Sullivan giving a tigerish display in midfield, against his old side, the Rebels battled away with great effect.

During this period of pressure, Slough relied on quick breaks to create chances and from one of these, after 52 minutes, Friend should have scored after a neat one-two with Kiely put him closer. But with just Jacobs to beat he placed his effort wide of the far post. James also went close with a brave diving header after a Friend cross on the left.

Slough fought desperately as the Enfield pressure increased in the dying minutes and it looked as though the North London side had finally broken through when a cross from King, on the right, was put home by Holmes. But the linesman already had his flag raised before the cross was made and after consultation the referee disallowed the effort.

To complete a disappointing night for Enfield they had King booked in the first half as Slough moved into the last four of the Hitachi Cup.

Enfield Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024