Wycombe Win The Cup

Wycombe Wanderers

Wycombe Wanderers

W. Buchanan (5), White (13), Rouse (3-0)
Slough Town

Slough Town

B&B Senior Cup Attendance: 6500 Unknown
On Easter Monday afternoon, Wycombe Wanderers and Slough met in the long-anticipated final of the Berks and Bucks Cup Competition, the venue being the Maidenhead F.C. ground. The whole of the ground arrangements were left in the able hands of Mr W. J. Gilroy, of the Maidenhead F.C., and the arrangements he made on this occasion could not have been very much improved upon.

The attendance numbers 6,500 persons and although this was a big thing for the Maidenhead ground, all present had a good view of the game. The G.W.R. specials from Wycombe and Marlow brought very heavy freights of football enthusiasts and it is estimated that the Company’s train disgorged nearly 4,000 persons at Maidenhead. Hundreds came in on bicycles, and a large number also arrived in vehicles of all descriptions. The attendance of ladies was above the average at a football match, which clearly shows that the favourite winter pastime has the hearty support of the fair sex.

Too much praise cannot be given to the spectators, who behaved themselves in a most sportsmanlike way. Soon after the start hundreds of people on the further side of the ground made a rush for the railway bank, which proved a magnificent point of vantage. Fully a thousand people occupied this commanding position, efforts to keep the bank clear being futile.

The gate receipts amounted to just over £213, so that it is just under the record gate of £225 of 1899. Wycombe Wanderers gained their place by beating Maidenhead 4-1, Aylesbury United 2-1 and Chesham Generals 2-1. Slough’s record in the competition is as follows: - Marlow 2-2, Marlow 1-1, Marlow 1-0, and Reading Amateurs 3-0. It will be seen that Slough drew with Marlow twice, but at the third time of asking ousted the old cup fighters by a goal to nil.

Wycombe Wanderers were the favourites, but the general opinion was that Slough would show up well, as they had displayed remarkably good form all the season and had beaten some strong clubs. In fact, in some quarters it was thought that Slough would just manage to pull through. Wycombe supporters were not very confident that their club would win and were of the opinion that it would be by a very narrow margin.

The general impression was that an even game would result from the meeting, but such did not prove to be the case. Slough were greatly disappointed, and somewhat handicapped in losing the services of their best back (Werrell), who had the misfortune to injure his leg whilst playing against Bowes Park a short time ago, and he was “tried” on the morning of the match, but his leg gave way and a substitute had to be found for him. In other respects, the team was the same as that which has done so well all the season.

Wycombe were represented by their full team. They were early on the scene and took the field quite ten minutes before the kickoff. They were soon followed by the Slough men, who, like their opponents were greeted with loud cheers from their partisans.

Captain W. Buchanan was successful in winning the toss, and when he decided to play for the canal goal with a stiffish wind at the back of him, there was lusty cheering from the crowd. Wright started the play for Slough, at just after the advertised time, 3.15.

Wycombe soon settled down and in a very short time there were attacking in an earnest fashion. White was pulled up for offside when close to goal, and this relieved Slough somewhat. Wycombe came again and again but the Slough backs cleared. The wind helped the Wanderers considerably, and the ball was kept in Slough quarters, the forwards putting in some good play. Thus, early in the game it was to be seen that Wycombe meant business, and the match had only been progress just over five minutes when success came to them.

Barlow headed nicely in from the right and W. Buchanan being well up, scored a beautiful goal for Wycombe. This early scoring was received with great cheering by the huge crowd of Wycombeites and it had not died away when Wycombe were to be seen again attacking, and a mistake on the part of Fidler let in White, who promptly netted the ball for his side.

Two goals in eight minutes had been registered by the Wycombe men and the excitement at this bit of good luck for Wycombe was intense. Hats, umbrellas and even handkerchiefs by the ladies, were raised in the air and cheer after cheer was given for the Wycombe lads.

Slough afterwards sent down and a corner was conceded. This did not result in anything material for them. On the other hand, the Wycombe forwards again trotted off with the sphere which was now more kept in Slough waters for a time.

White put the ball into the net for Wycombe but as he was palpably offside when he received the ball, the referee disallowed the point. Again, Wycombe pressed, and an anxious time was in store for the Slough rear division. Crocker had partially saved a dangerous shot, but the Wycombe men were pressing him, and the ball again found its way into the net, this time through the agency of W. Buchanan, but the referee disallowed this point also, as he alleged that Crocker was impeded.

For some time afterwards, Wycombe kept up an incessant attack and the energies of the Slough rear division were tested to the utmost. Hereabout A. Walker was prominent for some good kicking, whilst little Summersby – always an active half - was popping in and out among the Wycombe men and doing his full share of the work.

White forced a corner for Wycombe when he and Crocker were on the ground together. Afterwards Crocker brought off a good save, but it was quite evident at this stage that the Slough goalkeeper was suffering from nervousness, for he appeared to be unable to get the ball away so well as he generally does.

Wycombe continued their attack and once more the ball was landed into the net, but the point was disallowed on the ground of an infringement of the offside rule.

Thus, Wycombe had been disallowed three goals. Although it must have been most discouraging to them Wycombe players to have points given against them in this way, they continued to play up in a most determined fashion and it was very rarely that Slough became dangerous.

It was apparent that Wycombe were going for all they were worth, for they peppered the Slough goal continually. After Crocker had gone on all fours to clear an awkward shot from Buchanan – and he did so splendidly – Rose finished up by putting the ball over the top of the uprights.

Directly afterwards, Barlow put in a fine cross shot, the ball dropping just in front of the goal mouth. Rouse promptly landed it into the net, but again Wycombe were disappointed, for the referee disallowed this point also, contenting that Rouse was offside. This made the fourth offside goal to Wycombe.

Not in any way discouraged, the Wycombe men pegged away, and kept up a heavy pressure on their opponents. On several occasions, they were dangerously near scoring, but Crocker brought off some very fine saves; one he slipped in running to check the intruder and whilst on the ground at full stretch he succeeded, amid hearty cheers, in clearing his quarters.

Half time arrived soon after with Wycombe leading by two goals to nil. During the short interval which followed, the Slough and Chalvey brass band, who had played some capital selections of music while the people were assembling on the ground, now paraded the enclosure and played some lively airs.

The teams were again cheered on taking up their positions once more. Slough went off with a rush, and it was thought that with the aid of a strong wind – the same advantage their opponents had had in the first half – they would make a better show, and although they did improve, Wycombe were quite equal to the occasion. As we stated, Slough were the first to show in front, and a corner yielded nil. After Rouse had shot in at the other end, Denton worked the ball well down the field. He finished up by passing splendidly and a good opportunity presented itself to the other forwards, but Poole and Wright failed to get through.

Another corner was credited to them a little later, but this was put out of danger by A. W. Keen. The Wycombe forwards galloped off to the other end. Hearn sent the ball well over to Rouse, and this played tricked Fidler and with a clinking shot, best Crocker for a third time.

It was the outcome of some good play on the part of Wycombe and the goal was well deserved. Loud cheering followed. The remaining play requires very little description. Although at times Slough attacked, the forwards could not break through the Wycombe defence, which was almost perfect on this occasion.

A. W. Keen evoked the displeasure of the Slough spectators by his kicking out tactics. We do not think there was any necessity for Keen to do this because on several occasions he could have cleared comfortably, without resorting to this style of play. Besides, his team held a substantial lead. After Reynolds had saved twice, Crocker, at the other end, had to go on all fours to deal with a tricky shot. He kept the ball out of his goal, but it was lurking about the goal mouth when Walker, with a ponderous kick, sent the ball skimming over the heads of his opponents.

The game from now to the finish became rather tame and there was tame and there was an absence of science about it. No further scoring took place and the game – one of the poorest finals we have seen in this competition – ended in a win for the Wanderers by three goals to none.

The game was a disappointing one from a footballer’s point of view, and there was rarely any of that exciting play that one looks for at a final tie of a cup competition. The Wycombe men were in the fettle and played with great dash throughout and completely outplayed their opponents in the first half. In fact, Slough seemed quite unable to cope with the continued visits to their quarters by the Wanderers. Whether it was the result of nervousness or over training we cannot say, but Slough played a very poor game from the start and their form must have greatly displeased their large following. All the Wanderers played well to a man, and it would be invidious to partienlariae. The Wanderers have succeeded in getting into the final of this competition in four successive seasons (not counting last year when the club did not enter the competition) and it is the first time that they have succeeded in winning the cup. The club has been a great help to Berks and Bucks Association, and the matches in which they have played under the auspices of the association have been the means of drawing big gates; the well deserve the success they have so long striven for.

Slough were without a doubt off colour and the forwards play at times was very “ragged”. Poole, Denton, and Wright were the best. All the half backs played a tolerably good game but did not feed their forwards quite as much as they might have done. Summersby as usual, played a steady game and more than once was applauded for his play. The absence of Werrell at full back was very much felt, although Fidler did his best. Walker played a steady and reliable game throughout although his energies in the first half were sorely. Taxed. We have seen Crocker play better, be he brought off several good saves. He appeared to us – more particularly in the first half – to be very nervous, for he did not clear his quarters nearly so well as usual.

Wycombe Wanderers Lineup

E. Reynolds, C. Tilbury, A. W. Keen, F. C. Keen, B. C. Hooper, G. Stevens, R. White, F. Rouse, W. Buchanan, S. Hearn, T. Barlow.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024