Slough slump to home defeat

Slough Town

Slough Town

Logie (87)


Roche (9), Dickens (30), Couch (54)
League Attendance: 229 Paul Coyne
Marlow moved level on points with Slough in the Zamaretto Central division after winning at Holloways Park.

Kevin Stone's side struck twice in the first half, thanks to some incisive attacking play coupled with some poor Slough defending, and added a third early in the second half.

Slough spurned a host of chances to score, finding Michael Watkins in top form on a number of occasions - most notably in the first half as the former Didcot Town keeper kept out a Stuart Swift penalty.

Looking to bounce back after disappointment in the FA Cup, Slough made a slow start as Marlow looked to commit players in attack early on. After just nine minutes, Aaron Couch’s drilled shot was parried by Jackson, but only into the path of Jermaine Roche, who was on hand to tuck in the rebound.

Marlow’s front pairing were proving a constant menace to the Slough rearguard with their pace and movement pulling the back four apart time and time again, twice leaving Roche clean through on goal, and only poor touches prevented Marlow from extending their lead.

The craft of former Rebels Leigh Mason and Adam Dickens in midfield allowed the visitors to continue making chances, whilst Slough were frustrated on a number of occasions by the performance of Michael Watkins in the Marlow goal, who tipped an O'Connor header over the bar before striking lucky as Sinclair's shot from outside the box was deflected onto the post, with no Slough player there to capitalise on the rebound.

On the half hour, Slough were caught out again by Marlow on the break. Having missed a free header moments earlier with the Slough defence napping, Adam Dickens found himself with time 20 yards out to drill a low left footed effort which appeared to slip straight through Jamie Jackson and into the back of the net.

Slough were handed a lifeline soon after as Sinclair was tripped in the box. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, but the usually reliable Stuart Swift was unable to pick out the bottom corner with his kick, allowing Watkins to guess correctly and save.

Watkins was the hero again soon after, expertly saving a header from Simon Martin. But Marlow had a great chance to add a third goal as Roche was played clean through on goal yet again. This time, Jackson stayed big and blocked the striker’s effort.

In the second period, Slough came out on the attack, but were caught out again as Marlow took a commanding 3-0 lead. Watkins made another fine reaction save from a dangerous Swift cross, but from a long ball forward, Couch ran clear to net with another low drive past Jackson to increase Slough’s misery.

The inspired Watkins continued to thwart Slough, first denying O’Connor before making another point blank reflex save to deny Coyne on the volley. O'Connor also smacked a shot against the outside of the post, and it looked increasingly like Slough would not even be able to muster a consolation goal.

Substitute Byrne tried his luck from distance, but Watkins kept the ball out yet again, this time with an awkward-looking shovel away from his goal.

Jackson denied Couch yet again on the break in a rare Marlow attack, but Slough did eventually register a goal with three minutes remaining as Adam Logie turned the ball in from a Danny Murphy cross to score his fourth goal in just six starts.

Marlow Lineup

Watkins, Case, Gray, Willment, Lane, Dickens, Mason (c), Maclellan, Stone, Roche (Harman), Couch (Mealing). Subs not used: Roberts, Croxford, Collis.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024