Slough Lose Heavily To Vampires

Slough Town

Slough Town

Poole (5)
Crouch End Vamp

Crouch End Vamp

Moore (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 65, 1-6), Cane (1-5)
FA Cup Unknown
The team against whom Slough were drawn to play was Crouch End Vampires — an amalgamation which should give a capital account of themselves. Both Crouch End and the Vampires were good combinations individually, but now that they have merged into one better teams can of course be put on the field.

The players consist principally of gentlemen connected with the Stock Exchange and Lloyds, and they play a game which is well worth seeing. Had not their ground been engaged the match would have bad to he played in London, but they all seemed pleased that arrangements were able to be made for them to come to Slough.

One of them told our representative that the Dolphin Ground was one of the, if not the very best enclosure they had ever played on. A peculiar feature about the match was the arrival on the field of two referees — Mr. W. W. Wise (Referees' Association) and Mr. Watkins (Dorset Association). It appeared that Slough had Mr. Wise appointed and that Crouch End objected to him on the score that he was a resident in the district.

This fact they communicated to the Slough Secretary by letter and they also wrote to the Referees' Association, who appointed Mr. Watkins. The latter gentleman officiated.

Slough entered the arena long before the visitors arrived, and to the strains of the Slough and Chalvey Brass Band commenced to pot at goal. When the latter did at last put in an appearance, they had of course to "dress", and it was not until a quarter to four that the game was actually started.

The local team had won the toss and had elected to play down the field. From the kick-off Crouch End worked their way towards their opponents' goal, but were unsuccessful in their attempts to score; and from the free kick which followed the "locals" made capital.

They rushed nicely down the field and Poole shot. The keeper was, however, too smart for him, but he was nevertheless unable to get the ball right away. It remained bobbing about in front of goal for some few seconds, and in the scrimmage it was popped through amid great enthusiasm.

The play then was not five minutes old. It would be hard to say which eleven was the most surprised at the turn events had taken — Slough for their good fortune, or the Vampires for what they regarded as a slice of very hard luck. From the first they had believed that they had a snip on. So they had, as events proved.

After Slough had scored the first goal, a very nice run up on the part of the visitors resulted in a corner being conceded them. Young relieved that pressure momentarily and then one of the visitors shot over.

From the free-kick Slough got down the field, but after many minutes had elapsed Crouch End were back again, and some exciting play was once more being witnessed in front of the home citadel.

The result of it all was that another corner was conceded them. Through Abrams and Young operations were transferred, but their rapid course was stopped owing to an appeal for off-side being upheld.

After this Slough had a spell in their opponents territory, and than the visitors made a splendid dash up the field. The shot which followed from the foot of Hay, was however wide of the mark.

A foul was next given against one of the visitors, but the free kick which the decision occasioned did not prove of any particular value. Some tricky play on the home left wing resulted in the ball being passed over to the right and in a free kick for the visitors, the ball having been shot over the bar by Poole.

The visitors made the most of the free kick and getting nicely away they gave Robey no small amount of trouble. Crocker also put in some good play and so also did Ivall. In the course of a further onslaught the visiting forwards defeated both of the Slough backs, and but for Crocker would probably have scored.

Before the pressure was relieved Fidler also put in some good play, and a moment after an equally good shot, which was nicely saved by Waller. In less time than it takes to write, Crouch End were again in dangerous proximity to the Slough goal and so well did they play that the " homesters " experienced no little difficulty in clearing. It was Crocker who at last got the ball away.

After a very short incursion into their opponents territory Slough were again forced back, but nothing but a goal kick resulted. The visitors, however, at once returned to the attack.
When play had proceeded half-an-hour it suddenly became of more than passing interest. Running up the field more like a reindeer than a man Haig centred to Moore, who equalised.

Five minutes later the same players repeated the performance. Never before had a faster man than Haig been seen on the Slough enclosure, and rarely has a visiting player been more successful than was Moore in the centre.

The visitors now commenced to play a still faster game, and after some smart work on their left-wing the locals had to save at the expense of a corner. Every advantage was taken of the minor point thus granted, and, but for Robey, it would probably have been converted into a goal.

The sudden reverse in their fortune had at the time seemed to depress the local players, but by now they had shaken off the feeling and were playing a better game. Two unsuccessful attempts their forwards made at goal in a very short space of time.

A foul was, however, given against one of them, and this robbed them of the slight advantage they held. Exciting midfield play followed till Sampson made a rather remarkable run. In consequence of his good play, Ivall had a shot to save. He stopped the ball all right, but he did not clear. The visiting forwards, on seeing this, were on him en masse and an exciting melee ensued. Everyone thought it was a safe enough goal, but in this they were mistaken; a corner was all that resulted.

Within five minutes Crouch End had, however, again scored, Moore being the one to do the needful. Then "lemon-time" arrived.

During the interval, rain began to descend in torrents, and by the time play was recommenced, all of the spectators, who, by the bye, numbered between 300 and 400, had sought shelter.

By this time the local team began to look exhausted, and all they could do was to defend their goal. All the steam seemed to be taken out of them during the first half, and they did not get away more than on two or three occasions all through the remainder of the game.

They had started too fast to keep it up. When play had been proceeding for about twenty minutes, Moore again scored for the visitors; a few minutes after, Cane followed his example, and before the game finished, Moore had again found the net.

With the score standing at six to one in favour of the visitors, and with the rain descending quite as fast as it began, the game ended.

In conclusion, all one can say about the match is that Slough were outclassed. In every department their opponents were better than they. When Slough have had more practice — which they seem to want very much — one will he able to say more about them.

It may, however, be stated that Abrams played up to his traditions, that Poole put in some smart play, that Crocker was a host in himself at half, and that Robey did very well at back. If he had not had such fast men against him he would have shone; as it was he played only a fairly successful game.

Wilkins did well in the second half, when he played in his old place at centre half. When he and Robey get to know their fellow players better, they may be expected to make a good show.

Crouch End Vamp Lineup

W. H. Waller, G. M. Brimelow, G. S. Francis, W. H. Bentley, J. Cane, J. O. Hatcher, A. D. Turner, M. Haig, G. L. Moore, A. Hay, R. Simpson.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024