Rebels Suffer Heavy Home Defeat

Slough Town

Slough Town

East Thurrock United

East Thurrock United

Holding (3 pen), Curley (0-2), Ansell (48, 74), Bennett (62)
League Attendance: 179 Jamie Jackson
It was a case of another day another drubbing for Slough Town at a frozen Stag Meadow.

In sub-zero temperature the Rebels gave one of their poorest showings of the season as they let in five goals for the fifth time this campaign.

Goalkeeper Jamie Jackson had a mixed game. He gave away an early penalty and looked at fault for the second goal, but also made a string of outstanding saves to keep what could have been a rugby scoreline down to some level of respectability.

Skipper Steve Daly was a key absentee, unable to take time off work for the re-arranged fixture. And player-manager Darron Wilkinson also pulled out of the starting line-up at the last minute with a calf injury.

The game started in the worst possible way for Slough when Jackson brought down Daniel Gabriel, who was through on goal. Scott Holding converted the subsequent spot-kick to give his side the lead after only three minutes.

Slough had a great chance to get back on level terms when Steve Hale hit the crossbar with an unmarked header from a corner. The loose ball then fell to wing-back Simon James right in front of goal, but he somehow failed to make a connection with the goal at his mercy.

Jackson then made two great saves to keep Slough in the game. He first denied Gabriel from point-blank range, before getting back on his feet to save a re-bound effort from Holding. But four minutes later he stayed rooted to the spot as a low long-range effort from Scott Curley nestled into the bottom left-hand corner of his net.

East Thurrock's Gary Ansell should have made the score 3-0 when he flashed wide from 10-yards out moments later and was wasteful again on the half-hour when he placed a free header wide of the target.

By now Slough's defending had become woeful and failure to clear a corner presented another chance for Gabriel, who somehow fired wide.

Before half-time Jackson made another good stop, this time from Shaun Batt as Rocks players were lining up to have a pop at goal. Two further attempts were cleared off the line and Slough could count themselves lucky to go in at the break just 2-0 down.

However, within three minutes of the restart Ansell was left free to head a corner past Jackson.

Matty Miller played in Mark Bartley for Slough's only real chance of the second half on 50 minutes, but the substitute's looping shot was well saved by East Thurrock goalkeeper Jamie Rilly.

The Rocks hit the post and wasted at least four other opportunities before extending their lead in the 62nd minute. Jackson saved a powerful drive from Batt, only for the ball to pop up for a simple tap in for substitute Warren Bennett, who had only been on the pitch five minutes.

The introduction of Jon Hind for the last 15 minutes made absolutely no difference to Slough's offence and East Thurrock scored their final goal on 74 minutes when no Slough players challenged for a goalkick and a free header set Ansell through on goal for his second of the night.

The final indignity of the night saw Rocks manager Lee Patterson take injured defender Lee Burns off the pitch and choose to see out the rest of the match with just 10 men rather than risk one of his cold substitutes picking up a knock.

East Thurrock United Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024