Superb Spencer Lob For The Win



Slough Town

Slough Town

Spencer (75)
League Attendance: 121 Matt Seedel
Slough Town ventured into East London looking for a much needed 3 points and a chance to revive their Premier league campaign. However at a time where the Rebels were still looking for their first league away win of the season Leyton was not going to be the easiest of places to pick up a victory.

The match looked destined to be a frustrating 0-0 draw until fifteen minutes from time when Ryan Spencer amazed the spectators with an extra special goal that allowed The Rebels to escape out of Leyton with all three points in the bag.

Slough Town, who are now slowly getting back to full strength, started brightly and had a chance to take the lead early on. Alex Haddow broke away down the left flank and delivered a lethal cross into the box, unfortunately the chance could not be capitalised on and Leyton Keeper James Hasell claimed possession.

The Rebels next chance came when joint leading goal scorer Glen Harris had a fierce shot cleared from the goal line. Josias Carbon whipped in a quality ball for Steve Daly to head down, Harris saw the opportunity but the shot was blocked at he last second by a Leyton defender on the line.

Leyton, who had had a reasonably good start to the season were starting to look flustered in defence and frustrated with the lack of chances being created. The odd chance the home team were getting was immediately being seen to by the excellent defence combination of Daly, Saulsbury and Murphy.

Despite controlling the game so far, Slough had not been able to take full advantage and put one into the back of the Leyton net. Chances were being created but further efforts from Spencer, Harris, Wilkinson and Metcalfe were all off the mark.

Slough took a blow just before half time as influence winger Alex Haddow went off injured, however the replacement was more than capable as Danny Steer came on. The Rebels went into the break knowing that they were going to have to dig deep to steal a win in London.

The first fifteen minutes of the second half was much the same as the first, no big chances being created by either team. However on the hour mark things picked up and we had a game. Ryan Spencer and Matt Seedle displayed some neat passing between one another until Spencer was de-railed by a Leyton defender. The resulting free kick from Michael Murphy was blocked and cleared.

Slough had further chances from Seedle and Spencer before Leyton went on the attack. James Hawes and Scott Curley both went close but couldn't beat the impressive Jake Winchup. You could sense both teams getting frustrated at not being able to convert chances but thankfully there was a bit of magic in the air.

With fifteen minutes to go the ball fell to Ryan Spencer on the half way line, the stand in striker kept on running unchallenged and looked up to see the Leyton keeper of his line, from 25 yards Spencer unleashed a powerful shot that from the moment it left his foot was not going anywhere but the back of the net. Ryan Spencer had scored a magnificent goal that had given Slough a lifeline and a great chance of all three points.

It was clear that Leyton were now desperate and in the final 10 minutes had two excellent chances to grab an equaliser or even a winner. However thanks to the quick thinking and excellent defending from the Slough players a first away win was ensured and a valuable three points was gained.

The Rebels now travel struggling Kingstonian on Monday. Another win would propel Slough into third place for at least 24 hours, thus giving Slough 4 days to prepare for Saturdays massive F.A Cup home encounter with Cheshunt.

Leyton Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024