Next match

Team logo
Tonbridge Angels (A)
Sat Feb 24

Next match

Team logo
Tonbridge Angels (A)
Sat Feb 24 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

Boot double puts Slough through

Slough Town

Slough Town

Boot (19, 76), Davidson o.g. (37)
Canvey Island

Canvey Island

Forbes (5), Brayley (61)
FA Cup Attendance: 875 Veli Hakki
Two goals from Slough Town striker Tony Boot, sandwiched between an unfortunate own goal by Canvey Island's Craig Davidson helped the Rebels progress to the FA Cup First Round proper.

The opening ten minutes of the game were dominated by the visitors and they took the lead early on when former Port Vale midfielder Jeff Minton crossed to Scott Forbes who was in space, and scored past Dominique Jean-Zephirin.

It was Forbes who had the next chance for the Gulls when he pounced on a loose ball from the edge of the penalty area, but he hit the ball over the crossbar.

Slough could have equalised with their first real opportunity of the match when Boot found himself free in the area, but hit the ball over the crossbar.

Boot soon made amends for that miss when some indecision in the Canvey defence gave the in-form striker the simplest of chances to score past Canvey goalkeeper Danny Potter from close range.

Eight minutes before half-time the Rebels found themselves in front when Gilkes caught up with a ball that seemed to be going out of play. He crossed the ball towards the danger area where Canvey defender Ross Davidson turned the ball into his own net.

In the remaining minutes before half-time Canvey created a good chance to draw level when a corner into the area was headed over the bar by Neil Gregory.

The seasiders took the game to Slough early in the second half and forced Jean-Zephirin into an early save when Chris Duffy's volley from the edge of the area called the Rebels goalkeeper into action.

Gulls manager Jeff King then decided to throw on former West Ham youth team star Bertie Brayley and within minutes of his introduction the striker scored when a long throw from Ross Johnson was only cleared to Brayley who volleyed the ball into the net from the edge of the area.

After the equaliser most expected Canvey to possibly take control of the match, but in a funny way the equaliser seemed to spur the Rebels on to score again and they began to take control of the match. Canvey though, were still looking dangerous on the break with Lee Boylan and Brayley a constant threat.

Canvey goalkeeper Potter was called into action again midway through the half when he was harshly adjudged to have carried the ball outside the area. From the resulting free-kick Michael Gilkes rolled the ball to Byron Bubb who saw his deflected shot very well saved by Potter.

Bubb was causing the Canvey defence all kinds of problems at this stage and it was the Rebels winger who set up the winner when he delivered a curling ball into the penalty area that was glanced into the net by Tony Boot.

With fourteen minutes remaining Canvey tested the Rebels defence with a series of high balls into the box as well as more long throw-ins from Johnson, but Slough did well against these set pieces and if any side looked the more likely to score it was Slough on the break.

Sammy Winston had a chance to settle the match when he ran through on goal. His shot was well saved by Potter, although in truth a pull back to substitute Steve Hale would have been a better option.

With three minutes remaining John Kennedy was dismissed for his second yellow card of the match and in the remaining minutes Slough held the ball up well in the corners to hold on for a thoroughly deserved win.

Canvey Island Lineup

Potter, Kennedy, Duffy, D Gregory, Davidson Johnson, Protheroe (Brayley 60), Minton, N Gregory, Boylan, Forbes. Subs (not used): Bennett, Dobinson Jones, Harrison.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024