Next match

Team logo
Ebbsfleet United (H)
Sat Mar 25

Next match

Team logo
Ebbsfleet United (H)
Sat Mar 25 12:30
The Vanarama National League South

Rebels overcome Totton in replay

| FA Cup
Att: 360
Slough Town
Ricky Browne (56), Spencer (77)
2 - 0
AFC Totton
Dean Palmer
Two second half goals from defender Ricky Browne and midfielder Ryan Spencer helped Slough progress to the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup as they finally overcame the strong challenge of AFC Totton.

It was obvious from the opening minute that the Rebels would have to be at their sharpest tonight as a few early tackles from AFC Totton players told you that the Southampton based side would give their all in this FA Cup replay.

It was the Rebels though who could have taken the lead within the first few minutes when a long ball over the top found Tony Boot. The striker saw his low shot saved by goalkeeper Wayne Shaw. Boot however picked up the rebound and crossed for Byron Bubb who hit a first time volley that Shaw managed to tip over the bar.

In truth the Rebels had all the early chances. Winston curled a shot wide after a run from the left and defender Adrian Browne almost got on the scoresheet when his glancing header went wide from a Veli Hakki corner.

Midway through the half the excellent Shaw denied the Rebels with another top class save. Boot received the ball on the edge of the penalty area and curled a shot that seemed destined for the bottom corner until the Totton goalkeeper produced an excellent one-handed save low to his left.

From the resulting corner Spencer saw his free header cleared off the line by the visiting defence.

Despite Slough having all the chances AFC Totton still looked dangerous on the break and they had their first real chance of the match minutes later when Glen Redford hit a shot just over the bar from a free-kick.

The last chance of the half fell to the Rebels again. Winston ran at the Totton defence before seeing his toe-poked effort saved at his near post by Shaw.

Slough started sloppily in the second half and AFC Totton had a number of set pieces that they should have done better with.

It was the home side who had the first chance of the second half though when full-back Dean Palmer went on another long run. He pulled the ball back to Boot who looked set to score, but somehow only Shaw managed deny the striker yet again this time with his best save of the night.

Slough finally broke the deadlock on 54 minutes when a corner into the penalty area by Hakki was only partially cleared. The ball fell to Ricky Browne who found the back of the net from close range.

The away side pushed men forward in search of a goal and created more chances in this half. The first came when Stuart Ritchie hit a surprise free-kick from the edge of the area that was well saved by Rebels goalkeeper Adrian Blake.

Soon after this chance the lively Boot had yet another another chance after he latched onto a Winston header. He did everything correctly and kept his left-footed shot down only to see Shaw deny the striker yet again.

AFC Totton had the next chance of the match when Mark Osman turned Palmer before hitting a close range effort that Blake did well to save for a corner.

With eleven minutes remaining Slough finally saw off the spirited AFC Totton as they added a second goal with the best move of the night.

Sammy Winston went on another run and back-heeled the ball to Boot. The striker had the chance to shoot, but unselfishly passed to Spencer at the far post who simply stroked the ball into the unguarded net to seal the win.

AFC Totton Line up

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2023