Last-gasp Browne goal sees Slough through

Thame United

Thame United

Gardner (54)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Spencer (9), Adrian Browne (90)
FA Cup Attendance: 244 Adrian Browne
A 90th minute headed goal by centre-back Adrian Browne helped Slough progress to the First Qualifying Round of the FA Cup where they will face St Leonards.

The Rebels took the game to Thame early on and were rewarded for their early pressure when a good pass from Ricky Browne put Sammy Winston through on goal. His cross-shot was turned in by Ryan Spencer at the far post to give the Rebels a great start with less than ten minutes gone.

Slough continued to pressurise the Thame defence and had further chances. The first of these fell to Ricky Browne after a good cross from Michael Gilkes, but Browne half-volleyed the ball over the bar.

Just minutes later Slough could have scored almost a carbon copy of their opening goal. Browne found Winston in the area who pulled the ball back for Spencer, but the former Hayes midfielder shot over the bar with his left foot.

Possibly Slough's best chance came when a pull back from Browne found Hale, but instead of hitting the ball first time, the forward controlled the ball and was closed down by Thame defenders.

United had their first chance of the match when a cross from Jon Gardner found Mark Jones, but he shot wide when he should have hit the target.

Slough almost increased their lead with the last chance of the half after a foul on Winston on the left saw Gilkes pull the ball back to Veli Hakki on the edge of the area. Hakki's curling shot hit the top of the bar and rebounded to safety.

The Rebels started very sloppily in the second half and Thame were the better of the two sides early on.

They equalised on 54 minutes when Thame's impressive winger Jon Gardner found himself with acres on space on the right with only Dominique-Jean Zephirin to beat. He cooly slotted the ball past the Rebels' Haitian goalkeeper to put the scores level.

Slough could have gone back in front almost immediately when Spencer hit a deflected effort from the edge of the area that went just past the post.

Thame had the next chance when a cross from the right was flicked on by former Slough hero Mark West, but Dave Thornton sliced the ball wide.

With just over fifteen minutes remaining, manager Steve Browne threw on Tony Boot to replace Steve Hale. Boot almost made an immediate impact when he headed just over Alan Foster's bar.

But in the 90th minute of the match Slough forced a corner. Michael Gilkes crossed the ball into the box and a scramble ensued, which resulted in Adrian Browne getting his head to the ball, sending it flying into the back of the net much to the delight of both the players and Slough Town supporters.

Thame United Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024