Yeading once more for Kemp's Rebels

Slough Town

Slough Town

Foran (4, 2-0), Friel (86)


Coles (2-1)
FA Trophy Attendance: 860
The full-throated roar that greeted George Friel's explosive late strike at Wexham Park on Saturday was largely one of relief after Slough had threatened to let Bromley back into Saturday's FA Trophy qualifier.

Friel's unerring left foot blast rid Slough of the tension that had gripped their game after Mark Foran had powered them into a two goal advantage.

It also set up yet another clash with Diadora Premier outfit Yeading. A third cup meeting in two seasons for the clubs then; the most recent affair back on October 12 when Darren Anderson and Neal Stanley gave Rebels victory in the FA Cup third qualifying round tie.

That tie however was at Wexham Park but on January 9 Slough must travel to The Warren, Yeading's home. It wasn't the draw that Slough would have been hoping for — made worse perhaps by the fact that neighbours Wycombe Wanderers got another `comfortable' home draw against Cheltenham —
Slough had looked set to storm into the first round proper as they started Saturday's game in super fashion, contending wonderfully well with a difficult — but far from impossible surface — and with Stuart Hemsley deputising efficiently for Darren Anderson and Neil Stanley in for Mark Quamina — Ian Hazel still unfit.

After just four minutes — all of which seemed to spent in and around the visitors' area — Foran opened the scoring when he rose to head in Briley's swinging free-kick, a kick needlessly given away by Hamberger when he tripped Mark Fiore.

Fiore himself nearly doubled the advantage when Whitby put him through. but his shot was deflected past Curtis Hayes's upright.

Slough's next attack wasn't long in coming and this time it was Stanley's speed of thought and fleetness of foot causing problems for Bromley and most noticeably Rawlings, who fell on his backside allowing Stanley time to cross low; McKinnon darting in couldn't make contact and the ball held up obligingly in the mud for Hayes.

McKinnon went closer moments later, this time stooping at the near post to meet Steve Whitby's intelligent cross after Sayer and Briley had combined to carve out the opening.

Slough were oozing confidence and surely a second would not be long in coming. It wasn't to be for Fiore though who scooped a shot over the crossbar from only eight yards as Stanley, having a spell-binding first half, got away once more to deliver a delicious low cross.

Bunting, who until now could have remained in the changing room, did have to earn his corn on the half hour however, reacting quickly after McMenemy's flick on from a corner seemed, at first, to have got away from him.

Bromley took some encouragement from this their first flirtation with the Slough goal and corner followed corner, albeit with little sign of a tangible reward for the visitors.

Neither defence, perhaps not surprisingly in the difficult conditions, seemed totally at ease and Rawlings — suffering more than most — failed to read Scott's intentions and tripped him a yard inside the penalty area.

From 30 yards McKinnon is deadly but from 12 seemingly less so, he went for placement rather than power from the resulting spot kick and Hayes palmed away. Next please.

Still, no real harm done, this was still going to be comfortable enough and Stanley should really have made it two when he dispossessed the sleeping Sharman but then shot tamely at Hayes, again sacrificing pace for precision.

However help was at hand and it came once again in the shape of the lanky Foran. Once more Briley was the provider, this time from a corner and Foran smacked the header high into Hayes' goal.

It was no more than Slough had deserved, rather less in fact, but on the evidence of what we had seen thus far, more than enough to see off Bromley.

Of course that was dependant on Slough maintaining their form and they didn't. Foran made an important interception as Devine hovered and after 11-goal Andy Sayer had squandered back to back opportunities to make it a dozen the Diadora side hit back.

Bunting saved well with his feet when Devine met McMenemy's cross but Coles thumped in the rebound from 12 yards and now we had a game.

With 20 minutes still to play Bunting made a fabulous save from substitute Pat Gordon as Slough's defence allowed him a free run on goal.

But Slough's most remarkable escape was to come. Francis held off Foran and between them they confused Bunting; Francis carried on, cut in and shot goal-wards but with the ball holding up on the sticky surface Pluckrose slid in to somehow divert the ball wide and save Slough.

It was Bromley's last real chance and Friel made sure it will stick in their throats by securing Slough', victory some four minutes from time.

Picking up the ball on the left and 35 yards from goal, he ran at Sharman and then powered a sensational shot across Hayes and into the far corner of the Bromley net.

Bromley Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024