Rebels Bite Back At Underdogs



White (1-0), Turner (65), Lansley (3-2)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Adams (83), Greenaway (90+2), Stanley (120)
B&B Senior Cup Attendance: 700 Tony Dennis
Over the moon, sick as a parrot, we were robbed — all these cliches applied to Burnham boss Colin Barnes and his side on Tuesday night as Slough pulled off an amazing comeback TWICE to earn a Berks and Bucks Senior Cup replay at Wexham Park.

Two goals up with seven minutes to go and Burnham let their biggest scalp and giant killing act of the season crumble before their eyes letting Slough off the hook. But what a sudden burst of true form by Slough. Some would say about time too.

It was heart-stopping stuff as the Blues were deservedly two up despite only four real attempts on goal in a stirring cup tie which saw them start as underdogs. They battled, "played to their strengths", remembered their homework, snapped up chances and sent shock waves through the Rebels which echoed at Wexham Park.

After Slough's best chance saw How pick out the whippet-like Dennis with pinpoint accuracy and the speedy winger's effort dip just over the bar, you could sense the off-form Rebels would be short of luck again.

And sure enough, as the best crowd at the Gore for four years, 700, witnessed the clinical finishing of Paul White who slotted firmly past keeper Sanderson in the 25th minute, the ground buzzed at the thought of an upset.

A Brian Greenaway lob tipped over by Blues keeper Tillen and a Colin Ferguson header cleared off the line by skipper Keith White at the other end did little to appease the visiting supporters.

Then the explosive pace and subsequent cross of Dennis — who tortured right-back Richard North all night — and the Greenaway tuck-in which was disallowed as Dennis was ruled offside while standing off the pitch, diminished Slough's hopes still further.

Fourteen-goal Dave Lansley could have made it 2-0 to Burnham at half-time if he had headed home a sitter floated in by Garry Attrell — but the strapping Blues centre forward miscued one that he's been nodding home all season. He needn't have worried.

Lee Sanderson, replacing the dropped Trevor Bunting let in 12 goals in four games for Slough — gave away a second corner 20 minutes into the second half which the tireless Attrell swung in for Martin Turner to head powerfully home and give the Blues a two goal cushion.

Only then did the Rebels show the signs of urgency that have been glaringly missed during the past four games which has seen them slip ten points adrift of VOL leaders Farnborough Town and slip out of the FA Trophy.

Unfortunately for the romantics, a tactical change by Slough boss Alan Davies paid off, as Watt replaced Dodd and Adams replaced Duffy. Hyatt replacing the injured Attrell (ankle) seemed to take pressure off the defence giving the Rebels the initiative.

Within three minutes Adams made a firm claim for his place after being left out in favour of Dennis, hammering home from close range in the 83rd minute.

As the Blues sat back thinking they had done enough to ensure a shock victory, they were suddenly hanging on deperately as Slough piled on the pressure. For once, Thompson left the impeccable Burnham central pairing of Ferguson and Turner for dead, crossing for Greenaway whose last minute shot lacked venom and was saved by Paul Tillen.

Then Stanley broke away from the defence again to lay on for Greenaway who this time struck low from inside the box and the ball rolled under the hesitating Tillen for an injury time equaliser forcing extra time.

Then Sanderson made a howler with the match hanging in the balance. That probably made him think he was on his way to his new home in Cornwall already. Ex-Windsor man Dave Lansley pounced on his poor drop kick, just inside the halfway line, raced towards goal and coolly placed past the advancing keeper for his 15th of the season.

Although both Ferguson and Paul White received treatment for injuries, you got the impression that it was Slough who were licking their wounds and now seemed dead and buried. Not so.

Fittingly, after almost 40 minutes of extra time a deep cross by Tony Dennis found Greenaway who laid back to Neil Stanley who controlled and struck swiftly home from the edge of the box to regain his scoring touch. Slough's three week and three goal bout of the Blues could now, finally, be over.

Burnham Lineup

Tillen, Hutchinson, White, North, Turner, Ferguson, Alleyne, (Augustine 64), Mudge, Lansley, Attrell (Hyatt 82), Hesk.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024