Goals, Goals, Goals!

Slough Town

Slough Town

Brown (7, 8), Wilson (9, 89), Bateman (24), White (45), Waites (61)
Buckingham Town

Buckingham Town

Belton (18, 63), Shrieves (pen 20, 79)
B&B Senior Cup
Jimmy Brown’s two goals in half a minute set the ball rolling as the Rebels reached the county semis.

Once Slough had scored three goals in the space of less than two minutes to lead 3-0 in the ninth minute we knew Tuesday's Berks and Bucks Senior Cup tie would be no ordinary match.

We still, however, weren't quite expecting the Rebels to go on and reach their first semi-final in any competition for six years in such a remarkable fashion .

Those who believe good football teams are built on good solid defences would have cringed in horror at Wexham Park as Southern League Buckingham showed themselves totally incapable of keeping Slough's wolves from their door, but uncomfortably adept at exposing the surprising frailty of the home side's own back four.

Jimmy Brown seized the opportunity to take this season's tally to 22 with two more goals, while Ken Wilson's pair took him to 14, including six in the last six games.

But Slough manager Alan Davies was more worried about what was going on at the other end. “We made chances and scored goals," he said. "I was more concerned about the goals going in at the other end. There were a few things said about the way we defended. I wasn't pleased and neither were the players. If ever there was a chance to play football it was tonight. After going three up we should have been full of confidence, but we let them back in the game.

“Silly errors gave goals away and when you think we have the third best defence in the league we are disappointed. There were lapses of concentration and they punished us for it. “It would be nice to go all the way to the final. No one remembers losing semi-finalists. “

Slough will just be hoping to avoid Wycombe Wanderers in the draw, although Davies remarked: "I'm still hoping Marlow go and beat Wycombe.

The Rebels place in the last four was never in real doubt from the moment in the seventh minute when Paul Waites nodded down into the path of Brown, who went on to shoot low past 'keeper Trevor Hopps.

That started a nightmare for Hopps that Brown kept going a mere half minute later, volleying through his grasp from Keith White's fine cross.

Just over a minute later Slough completed sensational sequence by getting their third when Hopps dropped White's corner at the feet of an unforgiving Wilson.

But between minutes 18 and 20 it was the turn of Buckingham to hit a rapid double and threaten to make a game of it. Firstly Hopps' big clearance reached the edge of Slough's box, skimmed off the head of Jimmy Jacobs and ran for Frank Belfon to lash past Trevor Bunting.

Then Belton broke away down the right and made it to the byline, where Tony Knight rather needlessly hauled him down to give Terry Shrieves the chance to score from the penalty spot.

Four minutes later Waites forced a corner with a lovely first time chip that Hopps just managed to push over the bar. White swung the ball in to find that Jeff Bateman had drifted to the far post to head in unopposed.

Wilson clipped a shot wide with half-time approaching before White rounded off a bizarre session of football by nodding in after Brown had headed Gary Woodcraft's centre back across goal.

The only person complaining during the interval was club treasurer John Hunter, who'd been stuck on the turnstile since kickoff and had missed all the goals!
There were still a few left for him to enjoy, although not in the 59th minute when Hopps saved Waites' fierce drive.

The sixth Slough goal did arrive after 61 minutes when Des MacMahon's volley was well saved, Brown's follow-up attempt was blocked, and Waites finally forced home.

A minute later it was 6-3 as Bunting fumbled Russ Ashenden's shot on the turn and Belton ran the rebound under the Slough 'keeper.

White thumped a range free-kick just wide and Jacobs blazed over after good work from Petty before Buckingham pulled back another 79th minute when Shrieves beat Bunting after his first effort was blocked by a defender.

With four minutes left Brown was denied a hat-trick when his header hit the post, but the Rebels made it 7-4 when Petty put Davis away on the left, his low poke across goal was scrambled in by Wilson with a minute left.

There was still time for Davis, suddenly a favourite of the crowd on the strength of his display, to head home from White's cross.

Buckingham Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024