Milton Keynes Bowled Over

Slough Town

Slough Town

Brown (11, 17, pen 76), Wilson (66, 83)
Milton Keynes City

Milton Keynes City

McMellon (pen 52)
B&B Senior Cup Attendance: 256 Jimmy Brown
Slough were given safe passage into the quarter finals of the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup by the goalscoring of Jimmy Brown and Kenny Wilson.

Brown notched his third hat-trick of the season and Wilson grabbed a double at Wexham Park on Tuesday as the Rebels secured a home tie against Buckingham.

Manager Alan Davies was pleased to see his two strikers getting among the goals again, Brown taking his season's tally to 20. He said: "Goals have been hard to come by of late and it can only boost confidence. We are expected to beat sides like Milton Keynes so when you win 5-1 you don't always get the credit you deserve.”

Davies was pleased with his side's approach to the game: "I had a go at them about commitment before the game. A little while ago we were a hard team to beat. We have got to get the bit between our teeth again and start being a little harder and more committed. When we went a couple of goals up the players could have relaxed, but I don't think they did. Skill-wise, our team is a match for any in the league, but that is no good if you don't perform week in, week out.”

Borough 'keeper Neil Geddis did well in the first minute to keep out Paul Waites' deflected shot and it was another ricochet which helped Slough score 11 minutes later. Jimmy Jacobs' free-kick from the right hit a defender and dropped kindly for Jimmy Brown to half volley home from six yards.

Brown’s second after 17 minutes could not have been easier, Keith White hooking the ball his shoulder to set up an unmissable header by the far post.

Kevin Wilkie had two chances to get the visitors back into the game, but saw his header cleared off the line by Gary Woodcraft before turning a loose ball wide inside the box. Wilson twice shot wide on the turn before the break and Brown missed a great chance to complete his hattrick when he failed to hit the target with just the keeper to beat after 50 minutes.

Borough narrowed the gap unexpectedly in the 52nd minute when defender Chris Wheatley was spotted pushing down on Gary Kerrigan in the box, Steve McMellon scoring from the spot.

But Brown turned provider after 66 minutes to restore the Rebels' two-goal lead, turning past a defender and crossing low for Wilson to convert.

Borough never looked likely to threaten that advantage and Brown completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot on 76 minutes after Wilson had been felled as he cut inside Wilkie although it needed the linesman to confirm a foul that was obvious to all but the referee.

MacMahon then volleyed horribly wide, but Slough's fifth duly arrived seven minutes from time. Brown met a Waites cross with a glancing header that forced a great reflex save out of Geddis, but Wilson squeezed home the rebound.

Match Stats:
Corners: Slough 10, Milton Keynes 2.
Attempts on target off target blocked: Slough 11-10-0, Milton Keynes 4-3-0.
Slough attempts by: Brown 4-4-0, Wilson 2-3-0, White 2-0-0, Waites 2-0-0, Jacobs 1-0-0, MacMahon 0-10, Wheatley 0-1-0, Bateman 0-1-0.

Milton Keynes City Lineup

Geddis, Lovett, Hamilton, Jackson, Simons, Kerrigan, Hollis, McMellon, Blackman, Drewe, Wilkie. Subs: Singleton (not used), Goodridge (for McMellon 86 mins).


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024