Slough Blunted As Horsham Progress In Cup

Slough Town

Slough Town



Brister (31) Jakubiec o.g. (87)
Memorial Shield Barry Ogden
It was Slough’s ineffective play, rather than Horsham’s endeavours, which took the visitors into the second round of the Corinthian League Memorial Shield. Horsham played well enough but Slough, with weak passing and tackling, made things easier for them.

Horsham packed their goalmouth every time the fast Slough forwards came anywhere near and these tactics tended to close up what at first was a fast, open game.

The visitors took the lead against the run of play in the thirty-first minute when ‘Charlie Chalaye’ went down the wing, drew Glanville and the centre-half, Gillham, and crossed the ball to the waiting Keith Brister, who cracked it into the net.

Ten minutes earlier, goalkeeper Ron Watson had done well to turn over a very hard shot from Slough wing-half Berryman. Luckily for him he was in line with the flight of the ball or the home side would have been in the lead.

Until the interval Horsham held out rather desperately against Slough‘s efforts to equalise and that they failed to do so was mainly due to Geoff Crowther, who blotted out Roberts.

After the interval Slough switched Ogden to centre-forward and he met with a little more success, but gradually Horsham got on top and with ground passes split Slough’s suspect defence time and again.

But they lacked finishing power and shots galore went wide of the posts. Jock Mearns and Roy Jerome had a tough time against the opposing wing-halves and it was left to the half-backs to make most of the scoring chances for Denis Stillwell, who got the better of Gillham time and again.

But it was not his day and several times with only the goalkeeper to beat he swung the ball wide or passed to another Horsham player who quickly lost the ball.

But Horsham did manage to find the net once again before the final whistle. Three minutes from the end, during a Horsham raid, Billy Bell took a swipe at the ball and it bounced off Jakubiec, Slough’s inside-left and captain, and beat Prunty completely.

Then Horsham eased up and it was nearly fatal. Slough’s quick forwards, aided by the defence who had moved upfield, found gaps and forced two quick comers.

Twice Watson had all his work cut out to grasp the ball in the ensuing goalmouth scrambles. But time was short and Horsham held out.

Horsham Lineup

Ron Watson, Ron Hartley, Gary Fletcher, Billy Bell, Geoff Crowther, Roy Mobsby, John Chalaye, Roy Jerome, Denis Stillwell, Jock Mearns, Keith Brister.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024