Match day

Team logo
Brentford CST (H)
Wed Apr 24

Match day

Team logo
Brentford CST (H)
Wed Apr 24 14:00
The National League U19 Alliance

Slough Move Forward In Cup

Maidenhead United

Maidenhead United

Copas (10)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Leslie (8), Harmon (19, 79), Glover (27)
FA Cup Attendance: 3000 Unknown
At York Road last Saturday 3000 spectators (among them being the Mayor of Maidenhead, and Mr T. Kyle, Chairman of the B&BFA) witnessed a thrilling game between Maidenhead and Slough in the above competition.

Slough were at full strength, but Maidenhead preferred H.Knott and W.J.Boura to R.Russell and G.R.Saunders. To reach this stage of the competition , Maidenhead had defeated Henley Town (7-2) and Hounslow (7-1) while Slough had defeated Polytechnic (9-0) and Wycombe Wanderers (9-0).

Glover won the toss for Slough, and decided to attack the Bell Street goal. Early play favoured Maidenhead , for whom Rose got going, and he passed in to Copas, who sent to Hewitt, but Payne smartly cleared when Hewitt was going well.

Gibbins and Copas made the next raid, a pass to Rose setting the winger going, but his centre went astray, Slough responded, and Leslie set Morris on the move, for the winger to shoot behind. Knott and Hewitt put Copas on the run, and after beating Payne, Copas shot weakly and Bruce cleared.

The spectators experienced a thrill when Morris, after beating Boura, centred, and Harmon headed in for Cridland to clear from the goal-line. Copas responded with a solo effort and shot just over.

Then a long kick by Snow sent the ball over Stanley's head; Wells raced forward and put back a pass to Leslie, who easily scored after 8 minutes' play.

Snow was penalised for a foul on Copas, and from the free-kick Spooner passed to Pakenham-Walsh, who shot by. Immediately after Pakenham-Walsh started a movement which led to Maidenhead equalising. He put a long pass to Rose who headed over to Copas; the home captain took a "pot-shot" from 25 yards' range and had the satisfaction of beating Bruce at 10 minutes.

Slough pressed and Glover forced Stanley to concede a corner, from which Snow sent over, Richens had to save from Glover, and then a centre from Morris was headed inches wide by Leslie. A brief visit to the other end, saw Gibbins shoot just over from Knott's pass.

Slough took the lead at 19 minutes, when from Glover's centre, heading by Leslie and Wells enabled Harmon to head past Richens.

Maidenhead put on great pressure, and Gibbins' work put Knott in possession; and the latter's hard drive was put for a corner by Bruce; from this, Hewitt sent the ball against the woodwork, and another corner followed, this time Rose hitting the woodwork before Snow cleared.

Morris was hurt, and had to retire for a few minutes, and during his absence Hewitt missed a fairly easy chance from Rose's centre. Morris returned, but Maidenhead kept attacking and Poole effected a smart clearance when Copas and Knott appeared dangerous. Slough attacked, and Harmon shot by from Morris's centre. Morris also forced Boura to concede a corner, and the winger sent this behind.
Poole opened the way for Slough's third goal, with a pass to Harmon, who sent out to the right. Spooner tried to intercept the pass, but only pushed the ball to Glover who ran on to score with a good drive from 20 yeards, after 27 minutes play.

This reverse spurred Maidenhead on, and nice work by Copas and Rose produced a centre which Hewitt banged for goal, but Bruce brought off a fine save at full length. The Slough defenders were hard pressed for a time, but they stood the test well. Bruce saving well, and Payne kicking away a shot from Knott when Bruce was beaten. Just on the interval Rose presented Knott with an open goal, and to the amazement of all Knott shot by. At half time Slough led by 3 goals to 1.

Slough pressed strongly on resuming. Glover and Morris casuing much trouble with their centres. Hands against Boura near goal looked dangerous, but Spooner cleared Morris's kick. A brief raid by Maidenhead brought Bruce into action to save from Gibbins.

In another Slough attack Wells looked a certain scorer, but Stanley bobbed up and effected a save at the expense of a corner, which was cleared, and combination by Gibbins, Hewitt and Rose gave Copas a shot which went by.

A long shot by Wells was smartly tipped over by Richens, and from the corner kick Snow shot over. Rose did splendid work on the Maidenhead left, and gave Copas a chance, the latter's shot hitting the net-side. Wells caused further trouble to Maidenhead with a long shot which Richens sent for a corner, which led to a second off Spooner, and from Morris's centre Harmon missed by inches.

Another corner fell to Slough and Morris's kick was curling into goal, but Richens managed to get the ball away for a further flag kick from which Seymour put by. The Maidenhead goal had a let off when a shot from Wells hit under the bar; the ball came out into play, and Seymour put it back in the goalmouth and Wells missed scoring by a narrow margin.

Maidenhead rallied, and Rose gave Hewitt a chance, but Bruce saved; and soon after Payne kicked clear from the goal-line when Hewitt seemed bound to score. Eleven minutes from time, a centre by Morris was missed by Spooner, and Harmon had an easy task in beating Richens.

Just on time, Rose was left with an open goal, and appeared to walk the ball in; both sides stopped play as though a goal had been scored, when a Slough defended booted the ball out, and no goal was allowed.

Maidenhead United Lineup

G. Richens, H. C. Standley, L. B. Cridland, W. J. Boura, L. H. Pakenham-Walsh, A. J. Spooner, R. C. Gibbins, H. Knott, H. Hewitt, G. T. Copas, F. W. Rose.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024